ARLINGTON - First-time freshman enrolled at The University of Texas at Arlington have until Feb. 15, 2010, to apply for the most generous award offered to undergraduate students.
The Honors Distinction Scholarship provides $20,000 per year for up to four consecutive years for education-related expenses to a limited number of outstanding first-time freshmen entering the university in the fall 2010 semester.
The merit-based scholarship is highly competitive. It's the second year for the scholarship program.
"The establishment of this generous award underscores the seriousness of UT Arlington's efforts to attract the most capable and talented students to the institution," said Karl M. Petruso, dean of the Honors College and professor of anthropology.
"The level of funding is designed to enable awardees to concentrate fully on their studies. Moreover, it will provide them with significant educational opportunities both on and off campus during their undergraduate years," Petruso said.
Eligibility requirements are:
- Minimum SAT score of 1300 (Critical Reading and Mathematics) or ACT composite score of 30;
- Admission to UT Arlington by February 15, 2010;
- Admission to the Honors College at UT Arlington by February 15, 2010; and
- Submission (via email, regular mail, facsimile or in-person) of all application materials for the Honors Distinction Scholarship by midnight CST, February 15, 2010.
Eligible students in all majors (as well as those who have not declared a major at the time of application) are encouraged to apply. Students receiving awards are required to:
- Achieve an overall GPA of 3.35 (on a 4-point scale) by the end of the freshman year and an overall 3.5 GPA thereafter through graduation;
- Complete at least 30 credit hours per year, at least six of which should be in Honors;
- Reside in a UT Arlington residence hall for at least the freshman and sophomore years; and
- Make satisfactory progress each year toward the 24 credit hours of coursework stipulated for the Honors degree.
At least five students will receive the scholarship award. For more information and to download an application please click here. Questions about the Honors Distinction Scholarship may be e-mailed to email@example.com.
The University of Texas at Arlington is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.