ARLINGTON - Free music offerings scheduled at The University of Texas at Arlington include jazz, chamber music, a guest marimba concert by a nationally known composer and performer and a celebration of Bassoon Week. The schedule is as follows:
- Guest Recital with Nathaniel Bartlett, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20, Room 115, Fine Arts Building, 700 Greek Row Drive. The nationally recognized composer/performer presents a concert that combines a five-octave acoustic marimba with electronics, computer and an eight-channel cube of loudspeakers.
- Jazz Recital with Assistant Professor Dan Cavanagh on the piano and Dave Hagedorn, artist in residence at St. Olaf College, on the vibraphone performing jazz music. 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 21, in Irons Recital Hall in the Fine Arts Building.
- Bassoon Week Faculty Recital, 7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 1, in Irons Recital Hall. Assistant Professor Scott Pool performs a recital on "American Composers, American Rhythm," which features jazz, rock and funk music.
- Bassoon Week Community Recital, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 2, in Irons Recital Hall. The recital will feature both students and players from throughout the metro area.
- Bassoon Week Student Recital, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 3, in Irons Recital Hall. The recital will feature performances by students Cristina Meza and Amber Wyman.
- Bassoon Week- Guest Trio Recital, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5, in Irons Recital Hall. The Trio Arizona, featuring Neil Tatman, oboe; Will Dietz, bassoon; and Paula Fan, oboe, will perform.
Downtown Arlington Music Mondays resume at 12:15, Feb. 8, at the First Baptist Church Sanctuary, 300 S. Center St. The concert is sponsored by the university and the First Baptist Church of Arlington and features music department faculty and students. It is at 12:45 p.m. and lunch is served. The lunch and concert are free. No reservations are needed. Call Assistant Professor Martha Walvoord, 817-272-2439 for more information. Music Mondays will also be held March 8 and April 12. Call 817-272-3471 for additional information or to confirm events.
The University of Texas at Arlington is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.