Maverick Stampede: UT Arlington welcomes new, returning students to campus for fall 2011
The University of Texas at Arlington marks the beginning of the fall semester with a series of events beginning Monday known as Maverick Stampede: Welcome Week 2011.
Enrollment is expected to climb again this year at the fastest-growing, comprehensive research university in the North Texas region. New this fall are initiatives such as Success U, a two-day, mini-camp designed to prepare entering freshmen for academic success, and the Professional Nursing Pathways Program, which provides aspiring nursing students at community colleges a seamless path to earning a bachelor’s degree.
Several upcoming events offer strong media visuals and ample opportunity to interview incoming and returning students. Among the highlights:
- 8:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Monday, Aug. 22 - UT Arlington Move-in Day. More than 4,400 students who will call campus residence halls, apartments and other residential units home are invited to move in.
- 9 a.m. - UT Arlington President James D. Spaniolo and Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck will be on site beginning at 9 a.m. to help lug in pillows, mini-fridges and bed linens and to welcome Mavericks to campus. They plan to visit new residents of Trinity House and Kalpana Chawla, Lipscomb, Arlington and Brazos halls.
- 8 a.m. – The new north College Park garage at 100 UTA Blvd., between Pecan and Center streets, opens to students, faculty and staff with valid UT Arlington parking decals. City Electric Supply will demonstrate a new General Electric vehicle charging station on the south end of the garage’s ground level from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. The charging station is Arlington’s first public, electric car charging station and is ideal for motorists who drive Chevrolet Volts or Nissan LEAFs.
- 8:30 p.m. – First lighting of the new UT Arlington Gateway Tower at South Cooper Street and UTA Boulevard. The new landmark will glow with a Maverick blue light after dark and greet visitors approaching campus from the north. Media are invited to shoot footage of the lighting from the northwest corner of the intersection and at the tower, which is adjacent to the Engineering Research Building.
- 9:15 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23 – More than 1,000 entering freshman join for the opening session of Success U, which kicks off with a rally led by Blaze Maverick and the UT Arlington cheerleaders in the E.H. Hereford University Center Bluebonnet Ballroom, 300 W. First St. Sessions continue through 4 p.m. The two-day mini-camp offers sessions on effective note taking, best study habits, stress management and Quiz-a-Prof panels during which professors will discuss their expectations and pet peeves. Participants receive raffle tickets good for a chance to win items such as an iPad or area merchant gift certificates.
- 4 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 24 – MavsMeet Convocation at Texas Hall, 701 W. Nedderman Drive. The traditional gathering includes the award-winning UT Arlington Marching Band and remarks by university and student leaders.
- Thursday, Aug. 25 – First day of classes for the fall 2011 semester.
The University of Texas at Arlington is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
america architecture bioengineering biology chemistry collaboration computer economic economy emerging endowment english environmental explore hospital innovative institute lab leader math maverick nursing online partnership professors retail speakers tech venue war
Thu, May 23 – All Day
Last day to drop classes
Thu, May 23 – All Day
Building Professional Institute
Thu, May 23 – 8:00 am
Fine Lines: Anne Allen, Amy Herzel, and Angela Kallus
Thu, May 23 – 12:00 pm
Thu, May 23 – 6:00 pm