– The University of Texas at Arlington announced Tuesday that Grammy-nominated superstar
Drake will perform March 2, 2012 in what will be the inaugural concert for the
new $78 million College Park Center.
Grammy-nominated artist Drake
The artist announced Tuesday that he had added UT Arlington to his 17-city North American Club Paradise Tour, which kicks off Valentine’s Day in Miami and wraps up March 11 in San Diego. The Arlington show is sponsored in part by the Division of Student Affairs; as such, tickets sales are restricted to UT Arlington students, faculty and staff.
UT Arlington President James D. Spaniolo said the upcoming concert is a signal of exciting things to come. Other ticketed concerts and events that will be open to the public will follow.
“Since the inception of College Park Center, we have envisioned bringing in top-name performers – especially those who have broad appeal to our students,” Spaniolo said. “We are pleased to attract a Grammy-nominated, marquee artist like Drake for our first concert."
Along with Drake, the concert will include special guest, rap artists Kendrick Lamar and A$AP Rocky.
The name of Drake’s tour pays homage to a track the artist released in September. His second studio album, Take Care, was released in November and quickly became a top-seller on iTunes.
Drake’s sophomore offering incorporates R&B, pop and electronica styles. The title track includes a duet with superstar Rihanna, who played at UT Arlington’s Texas Hall in 2007.
According to Nielsen SoundScan, Take Care’s strong debut (631,000) is this year’s third-largest debut behind Lady Gaga’s Born This Way (1.1 million) and Drake mentor Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter IV (964,000).
In addition to UT Arlington, the North American Club Paradise Tour will visit several colleges across the U.S. before heading to Europe.
Drake recently talked to MTV.com about his decision to play more intimate shows.
“I fought really hard for this tour because, of course, they want me to go get the big bucks, go into the stadiums and cash out,” the 25-year-old from Toronto said. “But … I really made this album for the same people that supported me since day one.”
- Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Friday, March 2, 2012. The concert begins at 7:30 p.m.
- Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012 at www.utacollegepark.com; the Box Office at Texas Hall, 701 W. Nedderman Drive; or by calling 817-272-9595.
- Tickets sales are limited to UT Arlington students, faculty and staff, though ticket holders may bring guests. The ticket limit is four. Prices range from $35 to $80.
- Students are eligible for a $15 discount on up to two tickets while quantities last. UT Arlington has reserved 3,200 discounted tickets for students.
- The Division of Student Affairs traditionally brings an annual concert to campus at a discount to students. The Drake show will serve as this year’s student concert.
About College Park Center
The 7,000-seat events venue was designed by Cowboys Stadium architect HKS Inc. and will be the new home court for UT Arlington basketball and volleyball, commencement exercises, concerts and other major events. It anchors College Park District, a residential and retail development just blocks from downtown Arlington.
A grand opening celebration is planned Feb. 1 at the new, 7,000-seat events center in conjunction with women’s and men’s basketball games vs. UT San Antonio. Admission is free, but tickets are required. Free tickets will be available at www.utacollegepark.com at 10 a.m. Jan. 2, 2012.
Visit www.utacollegepark.com to learn more.
About The University of Texas at Arlington
The University of Texas at Arlington is a comprehensive research institution of 33,439 students in the heart of North Texas. Visit www.uta.edu to learn more.