UTA J-1 Scholar Information
Welcome to the Office of International Education J-1 scholar web page. This page is intended to provide general information to J-1 scholars, J-2 dependents and the sponsoring departments at University of Texas at Arlington.
For information on H-1B temporary nonimmigrant worker visas and the University's sponsorship of foreign national employees for permanent resident status, please visit http://www.uta.edu/hr/eos/international-employees/index.php
J-1 Scholar Overview
Health Insurance Requirement
It is not only unwise to be in the United States without adequate health insurance, it is a violation of J-1 status. Although in many countries the government bears the expense of health care for its citizens, individuals and families in the United States are responsible for these costs themselves. Since a single day of hospitalization and medical treatment can cost thousands of dollars, many hospitals and clinics refuse to treat uninsured patients except in life-threatening emergencies. A good medical insurance plan is the only protection against the enormous costs of health care in the USA. The visitor is required to certify that he/she has the required levels of health, medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance for himself/herself and dependents. The U.S. Department of State defines adequate coverage as:
- Coverage of at least $100,000 per accident/illness, with no more than a $500 deductible
- A maximum of at least $25,000 for repatriation of remains in case of death;
- A maximum of at least $50,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.
English Language requirement
The exchange visitor must be able to participate in his or her program and to function on a day-to-day basis in English. Suggested objective measurements of English Language Proficiency as per U.S. Department of State [22 CFR 62.11(a)(2)]
- A recognized English Language Test; (IELTS speaking score of 5, iBT speaking score of at least 18-25, or TOEIC speaking score of at least 6)
- Signed documentation from an academic institution or English Language School; or
- A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by video conference, or by telephone if video conference is not a viable option
212 e Home Residency Requirement
Maintaining Your J-1 Status
- Be aware of the expiration date of your status. This is not your visa expiration date; it is the ending date in section 3 of your DS-2019 form. If your appointment at the University is extended, the hiring department must contact OIE before the current expiration date of the current form to have the DS-2019 form extended.
- Do not accept unauthorized employment. The only activity you are permitted is the one described in section 4 of the DS-2019 form. You must consult OIE beforehand if you wish to take up any other work during your stay.
- If offered a comparable position at another college or university, discuss your plans with OIE to make sure that the required transfer procedure can be accomplished.
- Comply with the U.S. Department of State health insurance requirements for J-1 visa holders and their families. Willful disregard of these requirements will result in termination of your program and your J-1 status.
- Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate in the United States. For a listing of Foreign Embassies in the U.S., go to the US State Department Web Sites of Foreign Embassies Homepage.
- Must report within 10 calendar days not only of address changes, but also of changes to the exchange visitor’s telephone number and email address to Office of International Education
- Must report accompanying spouses’ and/or dependents’ departure from the United States prior to the exchange visitors’ departure dates and without the intention of returning to accompany the J-1 for the remainder of his or her program.
- Verification of sufficient finances to support self and dependents if applicable for the entire stay in the United States
* J-1 Scholars->USD 1086/month
* J-2 Spouse -> USD 417/month
* J-2 Child -> USD 417/month
Contact for J-1 Scholars
For specific questions and concerns, please contact Satu Birch, Director of International Student & Scholar Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (817) 272-2355.