New International Students - Register Here

J-1 Student Internship Program Requirements

J-1 Student Intern Overview:

Internship programs are designed to allow foreign college and university students currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the United States to come to the United States to gain exposure to U.S. culture and to receive hands-on experience in U.S. business practices in their chosen field.

The internship cannot serve to fill a labor need.The internship must exist solely to assist the student intern in achieving the objectives of his or her participation in a student internship program.The internship must consist of work-based learning, rather than ordinary employment or unskilled labor. [22 C.F.R. § 62.23(i)(7)(i) ].

The student internship program does not have to be in the student's field of study, but it does have to fulfill the educational objectives for his or her current degree program at his or her home institution. All tasks assigned must be necessary for the completion of the student internship program.

The internship tasks in the student internship program may consist of no more than 20 percent clerical work. The internship must expose the participant to "American techniques, methodologies, and technology," expand upon the participant's existing knowledge and skills, and not duplicate the student intern's prior experience.

- The internship must be full-time; i.e., consist of a minimum of 32 hours per week.
- Student interns may participate in a student internship program for up to 12 months for each degree/major.  Extensions beyond 12 months are not possible.

A student may participate in an internship with or without wages or other compensation, and full-time employment is permitted. To be employed, however, the student needs the approval of the exchange program's responsible officer (Office of International Education) and the student's home institution's dean or academic advisor.

More information on the Student Intern Program can be found at the U.S. Department of State Website

Health Insurance Requirement

Health insurance is a mandatory requirement for J-1 student interns and their dependents. Failure to maintain adequate coverage as defined by the U.S. Department of State is grounds for termination of legal status.
It is not only unwise to be in the United States without adequate health insurance, it is a violation of J-1 status. Although in many countries the government bears the expense of health care for its citizens, individuals and families in the United States are responsible for these costs themselves. Since a single day of hospitalization and medical treatment can cost thousands of dollars, many hospitals and clinics refuse to treat uninsured patients except in life-threatening emergencies. A good medical insurance plan is the only protection against the enormous costs of health care in the USA. The visitor is required to certify that he/she has the required levels of health, medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance for himself/herself and dependents. The U.S. Department of State defines adequate coverage as:
  1. Coverage of at least $50,000 per accident/illness, with no more than a $500 deductible
  2. A maximum of at least $7,500 for repatriation of remains in case of death;
  3. A maximum of at least $10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.

Request workflow:

  1. Request for DS-2019 using the form below.
  2. The following sections of Form DS-7002 below has to be filled by the department.
    • Site of Activity section on page 1
    • Training Internship placement plan on page 2
  3. Submit the packet of documents listed below in the forms section to OIE.
  4. OIE will process DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status, and DS-7002, Training Internship Placement form. And the Office of International Education will then contact the host department at UTA.
  5. Upon arrival to the US and prior to the beginning of the internship program, students must show proof of mandatory health insurance. 
  6. Upon completion of the internship program, the sponsoring department (supervising professor) will need to do a concluding evaluation for the internship.
  7. Internships lasting more than six months must do a midpoint and concluding evaluation.
  8. Copies of evaluations have to be submitted to Office of International Education to be added to the intern’s file.




  1. Exchange visitor information form
  2. Memorandum for DS-2019
  3. Form DS-7002
  4. Training/Internship Placement Plan Agreement
Additional documents:
  1. Verification of English language ability (through a sponsor-conducted interview, by a recognized English language test, or by signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school).
  2. Verification of sufficient finances to support self and dependents if applicable for the entire stay in the United States

    * J-1 Scholars->USD 1054/month

    * J-2 Spouse -> USD 417/month

    * J-2 Child -> USD 208/month

Contact for J-1 Internships

For specific questions and concerns, please contact Satu Birch , Director of International Student & Scholar Services at or at (817) 272-2355.