Health Insurance Information
Health Insurance Requirements - Spring/Summer 2015
The University of Texas Board Of Regents has passed Regents Rule 50402, which now requires all international students to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) meets the new requirements. Enrollment in UT SHIP is automatic each semester and the insurance premium is automatically charged to your tuition and fee account when you register for classes. Students who are new for Spring/Summer 2015 can sign up for UT SHIP during their orientation. For continuing students, no action is required to be enrolled in UT SHIP except to ensure that your contact email and mailing address are always current in MyMav. Please contact Academic Health Plans customer service department for more information at 855-247-7587.
The cost of the insurance for the Spring and Summer semsters is $1151 and will cover you from January 1st, 2015 until August 14th, 2015.
If you would like to waive your university-provided insurance, you may purchase outside insurance and submit the waiver online through AHP Starting November 4th 2014. Please read the criteria to waive insurance carefully before purchasing.
The UT System has established new criteria in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant.
To help students manage the increase in cost of insurance, the university has made arrangements for students to pay their insurance charges through the tuition and fee installment payment plan which allows you to pay in three separate installments.
Health Insurance Waiver:
Students considering a waiver of the UT SHIP should review the guidelines below before submitting a waiver.
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange (must be ACA compliant)
- Carrier letter indicating Metal Tier and Qualified Health Plan certification (see notes1)
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- Certified for sale by the Health Insurance Marketplace as a Qualified Health Plan at a gold-level tier or higher
NotesThe carrier letter for a US Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (ie: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)