Health Insurance Information
Health Insurance Requirements - Fall 2016
The University of Texas Board Of Regents has passed Regents Rule 50402, which now requires only F1, F2, J1 and J2 students who are currently enrolled, to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT-SHIP) meets these requirements.
New Students: You will have the opportunity to enroll in the UT-SHIP at international student orientation. Once your register for classes, the charge will be automatically added to your student MyMav account and paid when you pay your tuition and fees.
The cost of the insurance for the Fall 2016 semesters is $833 and will cover you from August 15th, 2016 until December 31st, 2016. To help students manage the increase in cost of insurance, the university has made arrangements for students to pay their insurance charges through the tuition and fee installment payment plan which allows you to pay in three separate installments.
For information about the health insurance enrollment or waiver process, please directly contact Academic Health Plans at 855-247-2273 or visit their website at AHPCare.com.
Health Insurance Waiver - Fall 2016:
The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver from the UT-SHIP by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant. Waivers must be submitted online and approved each semester to have the insurance charge removed from your student account.
Criteria to submit a waiver request, must meet one of the following:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Individual Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- Must be Patient Protections and the Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant. (Travel plans will not be accepted)
- The mandatory coverage period of: August 15th, 2016 through December 31st, 2016.
On-Line Waiver Process:
On-Line Waiver Process will open August 1st. The deadline to submit waiver is September 12th, 2016