Health Insurance Information
Insurance Requirements Change - Effective Fall 2014
The University of Texas Board Of Regents has passed Regents Rule 50402, which now requires all international students to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) meets the new requirements. Enrollment in UT SHIP is automatic each semester and the insurance premium is automatically charged to your tuition and fee account when you register for classes. Students who are new for Fall 2014 can sign up for UT SHIP during their orientation. For continuing students, no action is required to be enrolled in UT SHIP except to ensure that your contact email and mailing address are always current in MyMav.
The UT System has established new criteria in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System regulation and be PPACA compliant. Waivers that were approved by the Office of International Education during past semesters may no longer qualify to replace the UT SHIP, due to the new requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
To help students manage the increase in cost of insurance, the university has made arrangements for students to pay their insurance charges through the tuition and fee installment payment plan which allows you to pay in three separate installments.
Students considering a waiver of the UT SHIP should review the guidelines below before submitting a waiver.
Health Insurance Waiver:
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange (must be ACA compliant)
- Carrier letter indicating Metal Tier and Qualified Health Plan certification (see notes1)
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- For an annual waiver your coverage dates must meet or exceed: August 15, 2014 – August 15, 2015. For a Fall 2014 semester waiver the dates must meet or exceed: August 15, 2014 to December 31, 2014.
- The carrier letter for a US Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (ie: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)
On-Line Waiver Process:
If you have an alternate health insurance plan and you meet the waiver eligibility criteria, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the AHP University SHIP. The waiver deadline is September 8, 2014.
- Have an electronic copy your insurance card, Policy Benefits Summary, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http://uta.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue
- Enter the required demographic information including your UT Arlington ID number and pick your password.
- Select the ‘Register’ button to continue.
- Select the waiver form under Submit Waivers.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.