Forms » OPT-17 MONTH EXTENSION
Please attend one of the OPT seminars if you have any questions regarding OPT. See the OPT Seminar Schedule for more info.
The 17-Month OPT Extension is available to students who are currently on the 12 month OPT and have graduated in a STEM degree (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
- A onetime only 17 month OPT extension is available to students who meet certain requirements:
- Is currently participating in a period of standard Post-Completion OPT.
- Has never received a 17 month extension after receiving a STEM degree.
- Graduated with a degree in an approved STEM (Science, Technology, Math and Engineering) major.
- The approved fields are:
- Actuarial Science, Computer Science applications, Engineering, Engineering Technologies, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Mathematics and Statistics, Military Technologies, Physical Sciences, Science Technologies, Medical Scientist (MS, PhD).
- A list of UTA approved degree programs is available on our website at: Approved Degree programs.
- Must have a job offer from an employer registered with the E-Verify employment verification system.
- The student is responsible for providing the E-Verify information on line #17 of form I-765.
- Applications for the 17 month STEM extension must be filed with OIE no later than 3 weeks prior to the expiration of the current OPT card.
- Students who timely file (prior to expiration of the 12 month OPT) an application for the 17 month OPT extension will be able to continue employment while the extension application is pending, until a final decision on the I-765 is made or for 180 days, whichever comes first.
- An employer must consider a worker to have departed when the employer knows the student has left employment, or if the student has not reported for work for a period of 5 consecutive business days without the employer’s consent.
If you reside outside the DFW metroplex you may refer to the mail-in/mail-out process.
$380Management and Processing Fee - $150 ( More Details :Payment Process )