Forms » OPT-24 MONTH EXTENSION
Please attend one of the OPT seminars if you have any questions regarding OPT. See the OPT Seminar Schedule for more info.
The 24-Month OPT Extension is available to students who are currently on the 12 month OPT and have graduated in a STEM degree (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
- Have been granted OPT and currently be in a valid period of OPT.
- Have earned a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a school that is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency and is certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) when you submit your STEM OPT extension application. A list of STEM degrees is available here: https://www.ice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Document/2016/stem-list.pdf
- Current STEM degree: If you are currently on post-completion OPT for a STEM degree earned at UT Arlington and you have never had a STEM extension at your current degree level, you are eligible to apply for a 24-month STEM extension.
- Previously obtained STEM degrees: If you are an F-1 student participating in a 12-month period of post-completion OPT based on a non-STEM degree, you may be eligible to use a prior STEM degree earned from a U.S. institution of higher education to apply for a STEM OPT extension. You must have received both degrees from currently accredited and SEVP-certified institutions, and cannot have already received a STEM OPT extension based on this prior degree. The practical training opportunity also must be directly related to the previously obtained STEM degree.
- For example: If you are currently participating in OPT based on a master’s degree in business administration but you previously received a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, you may be able to apply for a STEM OPT extension based on your bachelor’s degree as long as it is from an SEVP-certified U.S. college or university and the OPT employment opportunity is directly related to your bachelor’s degree in mathematics.
- STEM degrees you obtain in the future:If you enroll in a new academic program in the future and earn another qualifying STEM degree at a higher educational level, you may be eligible for one additional 24-month STEM OPT extension, for a maximum of two total stem extensions per student.
- For example: If you receive a 24-month STEM OPT extension based on your bachelor’s degree in engineering and you later earn a master’s degree in engineering, you may apply for an additional 24-month STEM OPT extension based on your master’s degree.
- Work for an employer who meets all the requirements listed on uscis.gov
- Submit your application to USCIS up to 90 days before your current OPT employment authorization expires , and within 60 days of the date your designated school official (DSO) enters the recommendation for OPT into your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record.
- $410 (check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
- $175 STEM OPT Case Management Fee ( More Details :Payment Process )
- Copy of Signed OPT 24 month extension Request Form
- Copy of Passport Identity Page
- Copy of I-94
- Copy any previously issued EAD cards (current or expired)
- Job offer letter from an E-Verify employer
- Completed Form I-983 https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students-and-the-form-i-983
- I-20 and official transcripts from previous institution, if applying for the STEM extension based on a STEM degree previously earned at another institution
- **Recommended**: In order to ensure the most accurate employment information on your I-20, please submit the receipts you received from our office when you reported any changes to your OPT employment.