Change of Status » F-1 to B-2
A change of non-immigrant status from F-1 to B-2 may be requested when the applicant:
- Is in valid F-1 status and has made a decision not to maintain student status
The Office of International Education will not file this application on a student's behalf.
To begin the process of changing status, you will need the following documents:
- USCIS form: I-539
- Request for a New I-20
- USCIS Fee: $370 payable to USCIS.
- I-94: Copy of both sides of the I-94 for the applicant and any dependent(s) in the U.S
- Passport: Copy of identity page, showing the expiration date for the applicant and any dependent(s)
- Visa: Copy of visa page for applicant and dependent(s)
- Funding: It is necessary to show sufficient funds for your stay in the U.S
- Proof of Current Status:
- Applicant's current I-20
- Letter to USCIS explaining reasons for the change of status request, why the stay would be temporary and what arrangements have been made to depart the U.S
It is the student's responsibility to mail the Change of Status application to USCIS Vermont Service Center.
Normal processing time is approximately 90 days. Students will be notified by USCIS when their case has been processed.
- Requests for tourist visas are typically approved for 6 months or less.
- Dependents in F-2 status do not need to file a separate application, but dependents must be noted on the addendum sheet attached to form Form I-539