Student MavMail FAQ
- What is MavMail?
- MavMail refers to official e-mail communication by the university with students using the university-provided e-mail account. The MavMail Newsletter which is sent out each Sunday is one example of communication sent to students using MavMail. Certain administrative and academic offices also conduct business exclusively by e-mail.
- Is e-mail new to UT Arlington?
- No. For many years now, the university has been using the free e-mail accounts provided to students for official communication with faculty and staff. In addition, some faculty and individual university offices have been communicating with students by e-mail exclusively.
- Why did the university adopt MavMail as an official means of communication with students?
- The use of e-mail allows the university to communicate more efficiently and effectively with students. In many cases it is too costly and time consuming to send letters through the U.S. Postal Service to remind students about deadlines and upcoming events. In addition, students sometimes move and forget to update their physical address with the university. E-mail reduces costs and time constraints and permits the university to stay in contact with students. The university relies on MavMail to deliver critical messages to students.
- How do I setup my new e-mail account?
- Lookup your e-mail address and initial password at https://www.uta.edu/oit/verifynetid. Log in with NetID and password. Write down your Mavs email address and the initial password.
- Go to http://www.outlook.com/mavs.uta.edu and enter your Student E-Mail Address in the Microsoft Account field and your Initial Password in the Password field.
- You will now create your account profile information. Enter the initial password. Create a new password and setup your identity question for your new e-mail account. Be sure to set up an alternate email address.
- Be sure to notify all of your contacts of your new MavMail address.
How to setup student email on Mobile Devices?
- What is my login password?
- Each student will receive an e-mail in their existing UT Arlington e-mail account which contains an initial password for the new e-mail system. You can also login to the UT Arlington Self Service website to retrieve your initial password. Once you use this initial password to login to your new e-mail account, you will immediately be required to change it. At that point you will need to use the "Can't access your account" link on the Microsoft Office 365 sign-in page if you forget your password.
- What if I forget my MavMail Office 365 password?
- Once you have changed your MavMail Office 365 password from the initial password, you will need to use the "Can't access my account" link on the Microsoft Office 365 sign-in page to reset your password. You will be prompted to enter the special characters displayed on the screen. You will also be prompted to answer your security question or to have a reset email sent to your alternate email address.
- When will I begin receiving e-mail in my new MavMail inbox?
- The e-mail system is now available to students; however, before you can access your new MavMail account, you must setup your new account at http://www.outlook.com/mavs.uta.edu. MyMav will be updated at that time so faculty and staff may begin sending e-mails to your new MavMail e-mail account.
- Where do I find Help documentation?
- Help documentation for the MavMail Office 365 system can be found on-line at the Microsoft Office 365 Help website.
- What is my new e-mail address?
- Your new e-mail address will be automatically assigned and you can find this information on the Self Service website.
- Can I share my MavMail address with my friends?
- Yes. It is appropriate to use your MavMail address for communication with the university, friends, family, and other entities. However, you should not share your password with others.
- Will UT Arlington share my e-mail address with others not associated with UT Arlington?
- Additional information on this is available at the FERPA website http://wweb.uta.edu/aao/recordsandregistration/content/student_services/ferpa.aspx#privElec.
- Will I keep the same e-mail address even if I am not enrolled every semester?
- Yes. Once selected, your MavMail address is permanently assigned to you. An outstanding benefit of the new e-mail system is its availability to you after you graduate. Please note that if you don't use your MavMail account for a year, it will be purged by the Microsoft.
- Can I opt out of receiving the MavMail Newsletter or other specific messages sent by UT Arlington?
- No. Students must accept the newsletter and other messages sent by the university to the MavMail mailbox since some of the information is critical for student success. In the future certain business transactions, such as notification concerning tuition bills and financial aid, will occur exclusively by e-mail. If students do not receive this information, the consequences could be devastating.
- Can I have my Student e-mail mailbox quota increased?
- Can I use Outlook 2003/2007 to access my MavMail account?
- No. Currently the Connector inside Outloook is not working to connect to the Microsoft Labs page. We anticipate that this will be resolved in the next release of the Exchange Labs software. We will publish an update to this FAQ when the feature is available.
- Can I optimize browser to work with @Mavs email?
- Please visit - http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/bb899595.aspx
- How can I report Spam or Phishing ot Personal Information issue?
- Please read Microsoft information on spam, junk, and phishing email at http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.owap.emailsafetypremium.aspx.
- Microsoft's privacy notice is located at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.mspx.
- If you, the student, would like to report an identity theft issue or release of sensitive information, you must report the issue to the UTA police at 817-272-3381.
- Students may report the incident to Microsoft at https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1310&showpage=1&ws=1prcen  by submitting a privacy ticket.
- Regarding junk mail or spam, you can add the email in question to junk mail list by right clicking on email and selecting add to junk mail list, while logged into your student email account at http://www.outlook.com/mavs.uta.edu.
- Additional help information on junk mail, spam, phishing email, abusive email, and offensive email is available in the online help function at http://www.outlook.com/mavs.uta.edu by logging into your email account and clicking the blue circular question mark icon. You can also visit http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/phishing/identify.mspx.
- Can I add RSS feed to my @Mavs email account?
- Students cannot add or subscribe to an Rss feed directly from their @mavs email account via a web browser. However, they have a couple of options for adding a new Rss feed:
- 1) setup @mavs email in Outlook 2007 and add new feed from Outlook 2007 software (see belowfor instructions)
- 2) subscribe to an Rss feed from the blog or website itself. The Microsoft software, Windows Live, can also be used to access @mavs email and to setup Rss feeds. This software can be downloaded from http://download.live.com/.
- *Adding RSS feed in Outlook 2007 - on Tools menu, click Account Settings. On RSS Feeds tab, click New. In the New RSS Feed dialog box, type or press CONTROL+V to paste the URL of the RSS feed. Click add then click OK.
- Can I use POP3/IMAP with my Mavs mail account?
- POP and IMAP connections are not supported by UTA for accessing student email, because of the numerous connectivity issues which can occur. The preferred method is by using a web browser at http://www.outlook.com/mavs.uta.edu or a setup method shown at http://help.outlook.com/en-us/141/cc875966.aspx.
- What should I do if I have additional questions or cannot access my e-mail?
- Visit the Microsoft Exchange Labs Support website.