Install ClamXav for Mac
System requirements: Mac
ClamXav is the product of the open-source project by the same name, ClamXav.
How to Get: Install from www.clamxav.com
How to Use:
Installing and Configuring ClamXav
- Download the ClamXav client from http://www.clamxav.com/index.php - be sure to save ClamXav to your Desktop or another location that is easy for you to remember.
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg file.
- Drag the ClamXav application into your Applications folder.
- Open ClamXav from the Applications folder or Spotlight.
- You will be prompted to install the engine. Click Install and follow the prompts for the license agreement.
- Select a destination volume. If you are running more than one volume, it will allow you to install the engine only on the volume that is running at the time.
- Enter your password. The installer will tell you when it has successfully completed the installation and then it will close.
- Open ClamXav again and click Update virus definitions to get the latest virus definition files. The software will tell you when the definitions are up-to-date.
- Click Choose what to scan and select the directories and files that you want to have ClamXav scan regularly. Use the Command key to select multiple areas; for example, your Desktop, Downloads area, or other location where files are frequently updated.
- Click Preferences. You can set preferences for four areas: General, Internet, Schedule, and Folder Sentry.
- Select the General tab and select the following options:
- Log the scan results to file.
- Log the update results to file.
- Quarantine infected files to (select the folder).
- Alert on virus detection.
- Select the Internet tab and select the following options:
- Check for new version of ClamXav.
- Check for new version of ClamAV engine.
- Update virus definitions.
- Select the Schedule tab. This section defines how often your computer runs a scan for infected files and how often it checks for updates. Select the following options:
- For the Scan option, select a day and time of at least once a week. You may want to set a time when you will be logged into the computer but aren't actually using it because a scan will use processor cycles and could slow down your computer.
- For the Update option, select a day and time for the program to go to the internet and check for updates. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates daily.
- Select the Folder Sentry tab. Folder Sentry actively scans folders as their contents change, whereas the scheduled scans only at the scheduled time. Select the following options:
- Drag folders to be watched into the preferences. Do not watch the directory where you keep virtual machine images because scanning them can take some time and they are constantly being modified.
- Scan inserted disks. Note: Do not set this option if you connect to network drives.
- Launch ClamXav Sentry when you log in to this computer.
- Quarantine infected files.
- Click OK to save all the changes to your preferences.
Known Issues: For more information, please refer to the vendor’s website at http://www.clamxav.com/index.php.