Standard Install for Faronics Deep Freeze Enterprise 6.x
System requirements: Windows
Faronics Deep Freeze helps eliminate workstation damage and downtime by making computer configurations indestructible. Once Deep Freeze is installed on a workstation, any changes made to the computer—regardless of whether they are accidental or malicious—are never permanent. Deep Freeze provides immediate immunity from many of the problems that plague computers today—inevitable configuration drift, accidental system misconfiguration, malicious software activity, and incidental system degradation.
How to Get:
Contact OIT Help Desk
How to Use:
Standard Install for Faronics Deep Freeze Enterprise 6.x
The instructions on this page are only for university owned machines that have "Property of UT Arlington" asset tags, also referred to as UTA assets in this document. These are typical faculty/staff office computers that are connected to the UTA network. Please contact our Help Desk for instructions on how to obtain Faronics Deep Freeze Enterprise 6.x for computer labs utilizing an imaged based deployment, such as Symantec Ghost.
- Modify Windows XP Startup Settings: Deep Freeze causes system startup on operations on SATA-based computers to malfunction. To avoid this problem, and for the sake of continuity and consistency, it's best to modify System Startup settings on all computers [SATA or IDE-based] prior to installing the Deep Freeze. Use the System utility in the Windows Control Panel to access the System Properties. This utility can be opened by selecting the following path from the Start menu:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System.
Select the Advanced and Settings within the Startup and Recovery menu. Uncheck the two boxes within the System startup option. Close System Properties by selecting ok twice.
- Install Deep Freeze Enterprise Configuration Administrator: Insert the media CD for Deep Freeze Enterprise 6 into the CD/DVD ROM Drive, select ok, and double-click on DF6Ent1818.exe
Click next, select I accept, and click install.
- Click ok to complete installation of Deep Freeze Enterprise Configuration Administrator.
- Enter the Configuration Administrator Customization Code: The Customization Code (password) is required to initialize the Configuration Administrator. This password is not the password used to enable/disable Deep Freeze. It is a unique identifier that encrypts the Configuration Administrator, the Enterprise Console, the workstation installation files, the One Time Password Generation System, and Deep Freeze Command Line Control. It must be at least eight characters long and may consist of any combination of alpha-numeric characters. It's highly recommended this password be recorded and guarded with care. Faronics is unable to recover a lost or forgotten Customization Code!
The following dialog is an example is what appears once the Configuration Administrator Customization Code is entered:
- Open the Configuration Administrator: The Configuration Administrator can be opened by selecting the following path from the Start menu: Start > All Programs > Faronics > Deep Freeze 6 Enterprise > Deep Freeze 6 Administrator
The Configuration Administrator is used to create a customized Deep Freeze installation program pre-configured with passwords, schedules, and other options.
- Create the Configuration file: Select the Configuration tab and check Enable on the appropriate line. In our example, line 1 is selected. Enter the desired password. This is the password used to enable and disable Deep Freeze. There are no known limitations as far as length and characters combinations ; however, its recommended the password be at least eight characters, consist of combination of alpha-numeric characters, and special characters. Save the current configuration by selection the Save As icon on the Configuration Administrator toolbar. All files are saved to the Install Programs folder within the Deep Freeze 6 Enterprise folder by default.
- Create the Workstation Install Program: This is actually the installer program for the current saved configuration of Deep Freeze. Click Create button in the Configuration Administrator toolbar, select Create Workstation Install Program and Save. Upon successful creation, a dialog appears stating "DF6Wks.exe" has been successfully created. Click ok and close the Configuration Administrator.
- Uninstall the Configuration Administrator: Use the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Windows Control Panel to remove the Configuration Administrator. This utility can be opened by selecting the following path from the Start menu:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
- Install the Workstation Install Program: Use the Run utility to access the Workstation Install Program. This utility can be opened by selecting the following path from the Start menu:
Start > Run
Enter "C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze 6 Enterprise\Install Programs"
Click ok. Double-click on file DF6Wks.exe.
- Select Install > I accept > Next > Finish to initiate the Workstation Install Program. The computer will restart after the installation is complete. When the computer restarts, the Deep Freeze icon in the system tray [solid white bear]. This indicates Deep Freeze is enabled.
- To disable Deep Freeze, hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift. While holding these keys, push the F6 key. The password menu appears. Enter the Deep Freeze password and select ok. If the password is not entered promptly [within 15 sec] or entered incorrectly 3 times, the password menu will disappear.
- Choose Boot Thawed, select Apply and Reboot, and click ok. Click Yes at the next screen [confirmation window], and the computer will reboot. When the computer restart, the Deep Freeze icon in the system tray has a red X across it indicating Deep Freeze is disabled. Modifications made to the local machine can be saved when Deep Freeze is disabled.
- Enable Deep Freeze Enterprise: Repeat the actions previously taken in section 13. Choose Boot Frozen, select Apply and Reboot, and click ok. Click Yes at the next screen [confirmation window], and the computer will reboot. When the computer restart, the Deep Freeze icon in the system tray [solid white bear] indicates Deep Freeze is enabled. Modifications made to the local machine will not be saved when Deep Freeze is enabled.