System requirements: Windows, Mac, Linux
(POP3 applies only to Faculty/Staff. Student e-mail is handled through MavMail.)
POP3 connection is not supported by OIT and the information on this page is provided for your convenience only.
We strongly encourage you to use a supported mail client: Outlook Web Access (OWA), Microsoft Outlook and MS Entourage with direct Exchange connection configuration. The configuration and use of unsupported e-mail clients will be the sole responsibility of the user.
POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) is the most recent version of a standard protocol for receiving e-mail. POP3 is a client/server protocol in which e-mail is received and held for you by your Internet server. When you make a request for it via your e-mail client software, the program checks the server for any mail you have and downloads it to your local computer.
Please note that when your mail client is configured for POP3 access, ALL MAIL is downloaded from the mail server to your local client, and therefore will NOT be available via OWA or to Exchange or IMAP enabled clients . If you regularly use OWA as well as a local mail client, you are strongly encouraged to use the Exchange clients listed above, since the potential for lost messages is much higher with POP3.
How to Get:
- Username: Your NetID. Keep in mind that your NetID is different from your e-mail address. You may need to prefix uta\NetID.
- Password: Your NetID password. You can change your password online at http://www.uta.edu/changepassword.
- Port: The conventional port number for POP3 is 995.
- Check for New Messages / Polling Interval: Mail retrieval polling intervals less than 15 minutes apart are considered system abuse and thus are subject to account lockout or revocation.
- Download Message OR Leave Messages on Server: If you choose to download the e-mails to a local computer using POP3 setup or if your POP3 mailer does not support leaving copies of the messages on the server, your e-mails will be deleted from the server every time you check your email using your e-mail client.
- POP3 (Incoming server): owa.uta.edu
- SMTP (Outgoing server): mail.uta.edu if you are on the UTA network (domain, wireless, or VPN). Otherwise, you will need to contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to obtain the SMTP server name.