Be a Maverick Orientation Leader!
Thank you for your interest in the Maverick Orientation Leader Program. For more information about the 2014 Mav OL selection timeline and process please click here to add your name to the interest list.
Do you enjoy helping others?
Love to share your Maverick spirit?
Want to improve your leadership skills?
Then the Maverick Orientation Leader position is just for you!
Maverick Orientation Leaders are the first to welcome new students and parents during the summer orientation program in June, July and August. Mav OLs develop valuable leadership skills including public speaking, conflict management, teamwork, and problem solving. Orientation Leaders will also have the opportunity to network with University faculty, staff and other students to become some of the most well-known leaders on campus.
Check out the 2011 Orientation Leader Recruitment video for an in-depth look at the role of a Maverick Orientation Leader!
Maverick Orientation Leader Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are Maverick Orientation Leaders?
Mav OLs assist incoming students and their families with their transition to UT Arlington. They will work closely with New Maverick Orientation staff, academic advisors and UT Arlington staff to help plan and implement programming for new students. Maverick Orientation Leader is a very prestigious student leadership position.
2. What does being a Mav OL Involve?
Maverick Orientation Leaders serve as a friend, resource and guide to incoming students. They are knowledgeable about UT Arlington and work hard to provide a smooth transition for new students. Mav OLs should have a love for UT Arlington and a desire to share their passion with new students. Maverick Orientation Leaders should be prepared to expand their leadership and communication skills while learning more about the mission and growth of UT Arlington. Most of all, Mav OLs build great relationships with their peers and have tons of fun!
3. What is the Time Commitment?
Being a Maverick Orientation Leader is a large time commitment. During the Spring Term, Mav OLs will participate in a required training session on Wednesday afternoons. Pre-Orientation Training will be held at the end of May before the orientation season begins. Freshman and transfer orientation session will be held May-August. Mav OLs must be available for each orientation session. A complete list of required dates for Maverick Orientation Leaders will be available with the Mav OL Application.
4. What are the benefits of being a Mav OL?
- Leadership skills
- Opportunity to meet and interact with UTA faculty, staff, and campus departments/offices
- Stronger communication, public speaking and teamwork skills
- Greater understanding of the mission of UT Arlington
- On-Campus housing, May- August (required)
- Summer Meal Plan
- $1000 stipend
- Invaluable friendships and experiences
5. What are the qualifications of Maverick Orientation Leaders?
- Have a love of UT Arlington
- Completed at least one semester at UT Arlington
- 2.5 cumulative and semester GPA, each semester you are employed as a Mav OL
- Must be eligible to be employed in the United States
- Must be in good academic and judicial standing
- Must be available to work throughout the school year (Spring, Summer, & Fall)
6. How do I apply to be a Maverick Orientation Leader?
To apply, students must complete the Mav OL application and interview process.
7. When are Mav OL applications due?
Selection normally happens during the fall semester. Please add your name to the interest list to be contacted when the 2014 Mav OL applications are available.
8. If I have questions about the Maverick Orientation Leader experience, who do I contact?
If you have any questions about being a Mav OL please contact the New Maverick Orientation Office at 817-272-3213 or firstname.lastname@example.org.