- About Us
Skip to content
Mission Statement: In keeping with the University of Texas at Arlington mission to advance knowledge and pursue excellence, the Writing Center partners with academic writers at all levels to explore and develop their ideas, to become aware of the needs of their readers, and to learn the rhetorical and syntactical strategies necessary for effective written communication across disciplines and across communities. We collaborate with faculty to ensure that we remain current on the techniques, skills, and strategies students learn in the classroom in order to facilitate assignment comprehension, expectations, and objectives. As critical thinking, reading, and writing skills are important for all majors and all disciplines, the Writing Center engages and participates in the most cutting edge composition and writing scholarship, including assessment and shifting demands from a variety of writing cultures in higher education. We draw on our expertise to become a trusted and reliable campus resource for the diverse community we serve and to partner with faculty, administrators, and other UT-Arlington community members through classroom instructional support.
The Writing Center offers a welcoming and supportive environment for students and faculty who seek assistance on a wide variety of academic and scholarly writing assignments and needs. We encourage and motivate academic writers of all levels, and provide clients with the highest quality assistance in order to serve the needs of academic writers as the work to achieve their goals and fulfill their potentials in and outside of the classroom. Our first objective is to support academic writers on the project in hand, but always with the goal of elevating the general quality of both their writing process and their written communication skills. Clear and concise writing often follows clear and concise thinking, and we are here to help academic writers develop logical, clear, and concise patterns of thinking. We strategize with writers to development better writing practices that promote the intellectual growth and communication skills of undergraduate, graduate, and faculty writers.
Core Functions: We accomplish our mission through free one-on-one tutoring sessions, specialized in-class and general center workshops, all with highly trained, competent writing consultants.
• assist scholarly writing across the spectrum of writing talents and needs;
• help clients develop their ability to critically evaluate their own writing and ideas;
• offer scholarly writers focused, extended, and personalized tutoring (in 15-,30-, 45-, or 60-minute sessions) in an effort to increase their chances of becoming successful—defined by completion, improved grades, or publications;
• collaborate with faculty on discipline-specific classroom workshops for undergraduate and graduate courses;
• offer discipline-specific writing workshop series on core writing assignments;
• provide writing support to faculty for publications;
• assist academic programs, units, and student learning groups in integrating university resources to improve academic and scholarly writing;
• facilitate graduate writing cohorts;
• address grammar, punctuation, style, and citation concerns during 20-minute Quick Hits appointments designed to help writers learn specific grammatical and syntactical rules, and to identify and reduce errors.
Please look through our site to learn more about the Writing Center at UT-Arlington and contact us if you have any questions.
A Division of the Department of English, Sponsored by the College of Liberal Arts