Distinguished Professor of Physics Weiss
Dr. Alex Weiss
Distinguished Professor of Physics and Chairman
PhD, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
Faculty Research Page
Experimental Condensed Matter
Positron Surface Group
Location: Room 108 SH, 338 CPB
1. Development of new analytic tools for the study of surfaces, interfaces and nanostructures making use of low energy beams of positrons. Inventor and a principal developer of Positron annihilation induced Auger Electron Spectroscopy (PAES) a new surface spectroscopic tool capable of one monolayer depth resolution. Use of PAES in studies of the growth, stability, and inter-diffusion of ultra-thin layers of metals on metals semiconductors.
2. Synchrotron studies of surfaces, interfaces and multilayer structures (at the National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory).
3. Studies of charged and open volume defects in semiconductors using a variable energy positron beam.
(For a full listing: http://www.uta.edu/physics/pages/faculty/profiles/weiss/psg/publications/index.html)
Study of the Adsorption of Hydrogen and Oxygen on Si(100) using Positron Annihilation Induced Auger Electron Spectroscopy (PAES), J.H. Kim, G. Yang, and A.H. Weiss, Surf. Sci., 396, 388-393 (1998).
Positron states and annihilation characteristics at the (100), (110), and (111) surfaces of alkali metals, N. G. Fazleev, J. L Fry, and Alex Weiss, Phys. Rev. B. 57, 12506-19, (1998).
Positron interactions with overlayers of oxygen on GaAs(100), Kim, J. H.; Nangia, A.; WEISS, A. H., " Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 58,655-658 (2000)
Studies of the Auger spectrum from the (100) surface of GaAs using positron annihilation induced Auger electron spectroscopy, Fazleev, N. G.; Starnes, S.; WEISS, A. H.; Fry, J. L," Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 58, 667-673 (2000).
Positrons as probes of Si(100) surface with adsorbed hydrogen and oxygen, Fazleev, N. G.; Fry, J. L.; Weiss, A. H Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 58, 659-665 (2000).
Positron Annihilation Induced Auger Spectroscopy (PAES), Alex H. Weiss, Mat. Sci. Forum, 363-365, 537-541 (2001).
Papers in Refereed Journals (continued):
Low Energy Positrons at the Si(100)-2x1 Surface with Adsorbed Hydrogen and Oxygen, N.G. Fazleev, J.L. Fry, and A. H. Weiss, Mat. Sci. Forum, 363-365, 451-453 (2001).
Interface defects of Al/GaAs (100) detected by Positron annihilation induced Auger Electron Spectroscopy (PAES), W.-C. Chen, N.G. Fazleev, J.L. Fry, and A.H. Weiss, Mat. Sci. Forum, 363-365, 621-623 (2001).
The effect of adsorbed atomic hydrogen on the growth of ultrathin silicon films on Ge(100) studied by positron-annihilation-induced Auger electron spectroscsopy (PAES), J.H. Kim, A.H. Weiss, Surf. Sci. 460, 129-135, (2000).
Study of thin film growth of Fe/Cu(100) and Au/Si(100), J.H. Kim, K.H. Lee, G. Yang, A.R. Koymen, and A.H. Weiss, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. in Phys. Res. B, 171, 231-225, (2000).
Stability of an ultra-thin Fe film on a Cu(100) surface studied by positron-annihilation induced Auger electron spectroscopy (PAES), Kim JH, Lee KH, Yang G, Koymen AR, Weiss A.H, Appl. Surf. Sci., 173, 2001, pp.203-7(2001).
Study of the growth and stability of ultra-thin films of Au deposited on Si(100) and Si(111), Kim JH, Yang G, Yang S, Weiss A.H., Surface Science, 475, 37-46 (2001).
Line shape of the Ag M/sub 4,5/VV Auger spectra measured by Auger-photoelectroncoincidence spectroscopy, Arena DA, Bartynski RA, Nayak RA, Weiss AH, Hulbert SL. Physical Review B, vol.63, 155102-155108, (2001).
Experimental Determination of Positron-Related Surface Characteristics of 6H-SiC, A. Nangia, J.H. Kim, A.H. Weiss and G. Brauer, accepted for publication in Journal of Applied Physics, (2001).
Books, Book Chapters, and Monographs:
1. Slow Positron Beam Techniques for Solids and Surfaces, edited by Eric Ottewitte and Alex Weiss, AIP Conference Proceedings 303, AIP Press, New York, ISBN 1-56396-267-5 (1994) .
2. A.H. Weiss, Positron Annihilation Induced Auger Electron Spectroscopy, in Positrons at Metallic Surfaces, Solid State Phenomena Volumes 28 & 29, edited by A. Ishii, Trans Tech Publications, Aedermannsdorf Switzerland, (1993) pp.317-340.
|Phys 1441||General College Physics-Mechanics (Non-calculus)|
|Phys 1442||General College Physics-Electricity/Magnetism (Non-calculus)|
|Phys 1443||General College Physics-Mechanics (Calculus)|
|Phys 1444||General College Physics-Electricity/Magnetism (Calculus)|
|Phys 2445||Electronics (Undergraduate)|
|Phys 3321||Intermediate E&M Phys 4117, 4181, 4182 Undergraduate Research, Seminar|
|Phys 4324||Advanced E&M (Undergraduate)|
|Phys 5301||Physics of Materials (Solid State Physics for Materials Scientist)|
|Phys 5328||Surface Physics|
|Phys 6302||Methods of Applied Physics II (Graduate Electronics)|
|Phys 6391||Positron Methods in Solid State Physics|
|Phys 6391||Advanced Methods in Surface Analysis|
Selected to teach Phys 3313 (Modern Physics) on region wide closed circuit TV system (TAGR) (Fall 1985).
Other Professional Activities
Scientific Chairman, Fifth International Workshop on Low Energy Positron Beam Techniques for Solids and Surfaces (SLOPOS 5), Jackson Hole Wyoming, August, 1992
Co-organizer of four day conference attended by 110 Scientists from 16 countries, co-editor of conference proceedings.