ikely you have passed through the doors of the E.H. Hereford University Center many times, but do you know anything about its namesake? Dr. Hereford was the first administrator at the school to hold the title of president. His sculpted likeness resides in the UC and is said to bring good luck on exams to students who rub his brow. The UC is one of 17 campus facilities named for individuals who notched a place in University annals.
W.A. Baker Chemistry Research Building Dr. W.A. Baker, a professor emeritus of inorganic chemistry and longtime vice president for academic affairs, retired in 1990 and lives in Keller. Opened in 1996, the state-of-the-art facility houses the research groups primarily involved in chemical synthesis.
Carlisle Hall Following the closing of Arlington College (now UT Arlington), James McCoy Carlisle operated Carlisle Military Academy from 1902-13. He died in 1922. Named in 1969, the building houses the Department of English as well as offices for English faculty and some for the College of Education.
Kalpana Chawla Hall Alumna Kalpana Chawla was a U.S. astronaut who died when the space shuttle Columbia exploded in 2002. Opened in 2004, the amenity-laden facility serves as a coeducational living and learning residence hall.
Davis Hall Edward Everett Davis served as dean of North Texas Agricultural College (now UT Arlington) from 1925-46. He remained active at NTAC as dean emeritus until his death in 1950. Built in 1971, Davis Hall houses administrative offices, including the President’s Office.
C.R. Gilstrap Athletic Center Claude R. “Chena” Gilstrap was a former football coach and athletic director. He died in 2002. Constructed in 1995 as part of Maverick Stadium, the center houses Athletics Department offices.
Clay Gould Ballpark Clay Gould was an alumnus and former baseball coach who died of cancer in 2001. The facility opened in 1974 and underwent renovations in 1999 and 2003, when it was renamed. The UT Arlington baseball team plays its home games there.
Hammond Hall Lee Morgan Hammond co-founded Arlington College (now UT Arlington) in 1895. Named in 1968, the building houses College of Education offices and the Department of Linguistics and TESOL and Department of Modern Languages.
E.H. Hereford University Center E.H. Hereford was president of the college from 1948 until his death in 1958. Constructed in 1953, the student center was renamed in 1958 and houses dining facilities, a ballroom, theater, meeting rooms, offices and more.
Lipscomb Hall Ina Lipscomb came to NTAC in 1926 as an associate professor of education and served as dean of women from 1927-45. She died in 1972. The building is a coeducational residence hall.
Nedderman Hall W.H. Nedderman came to Arlington State College (now UT Arlington) in 1959 as the first dean of engineering. He later served as president for 20 years. Dr. Nedderman retired as president in 1992 and lives in Arlington. Completed in 1988 and renamed in 1991, the building houses engineering offices, labs and classrooms.
Pickard Hall Myrna Pickard was the first dean of the School of Nursing. She retired as dean in 1995 and lives in Fort Worth. Constructed in 1982 and renamed in 1995, the building houses offices and classrooms for the School of Nursing and Department of Mathematics.
Preston Hall Joseph Bradford Preston came to NTAC in 1927 as head of the History Department. He also served as registrar and associate dean before his death in 1943. Built in 1927 and later renamed, the building houses classrooms, primarily for English classes.
Ransom Hall W.A. Ransom began as an English professor in 1919 at Grubbs Vocational College (now UT Arlington) and was head of the English Department when he died in 1954. Constructed in 1919 and later renamed, the building houses the largest computer lab on campus as well as a computer store.
Allan Saxe Field Political science Associate Professor Allan Saxe is a longtime UT Arlington athletic booster. Built in 1976, renovated in 1993 and renamed in 2003, the ballpark is the home facility for the Mavericks softball team.
Trimble Hall William M. Trimble co-founded Arlington College (now UT Arlington) in 1895. He died in 1922. Constructed in 1968, the building houses classrooms, primarily for the College of Education.
J.D. Wetsel Services Center J.D. Wetsel, longtime vice president for business affairs, retired in 1995 and lives in Arlington. Built in 1983, the structure houses offices for Human Resources and Facilities Management, along with the parking, printing and mail offices.
Woolf Hall Jack R. Woolf was president of Arlington State College (now UT Arlington) from 1959 until his retirement in 1968. He lives in Arlington. Built in 1960 and renamed in 1997, the building was the first home of the College of Engineering and now houses several engineering departments and classrooms.
— Jim Patterson
Pilot projects encourage students to take charge of their own learning
Recent graduate takes a campaign detour
Dan and Grace Cruz never dreamed they'd one day attend college alongside sons Mike and Nick. It's hectic but worth it, they all say.
Researchers examine Alaskan tundra for insight into climate warming
Building namesakes include former presidents, deans, coaches and an astronaut