Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

Citizen Rights

Crime Victim’s Compensation Program

In 1979, the Texas Legislature passed the Crime Victims’ Compensation Act, creating the Compensation to Victims of Crime Fund and the Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program. The primary purpose of the Fund is encouraging greater victim participation in the apprehension and prosecution of criminals and reimbursing innocent victims for certain out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a result of violent crime.

The Crime Victims’Compensation (CVC) Program is supported through a legislative appropriation from the Compensation to Victims of Crime Fund. Revenue for the Fund is collected from convicted offenders through criminal court costs, fees, and fines, while victims of violence are assisted with expenses related to the crime. The Fund receives revenue from the following sources:

The Crime Victims’Compensation Program is administered by the Office of the Attorney General and is dedicated to ensuring that victims of violent crime are provided financial assistance for crime-related expenses that cannot be reimbursed by insurance or other sources.

What is Anonymous Reporting?

The purpose of this form is to allow members of the UTA community to anonymously report incidents of sexual assault. This report form is used to convey information that is needed to track the University's response to the incident being reported, as well as, to assess the danger that the incident may represent to the community at large. This form also assists in understanding the campus climate and planning a response to relationship violence. All efforts must be made to maintain the victim's anonymity; no information should be included which might identify the victim, unless the victim asks you to do so. Please return this form to the Violence Prevention Program as soon as possible, preferably within 24 hours so that timely coordination of services is assured. For any questions, please contact RVSP Coordinator at 817-272-9250.

Please note: Completing this form does NOT constitute a police report nor a student conduct report. You will not be contacted by the Violence Prevention Program Coordinator unless you indicate a desire to be contacted.

Protective Orders vs. Restraining Orders

What is a protective order?

A protective order is a civil court order issued to prevent continuing acts of family violence. It will direct a person to stay 500 feet away from your home, school, or place of employment and not commit violence against you.

The protective order is good for up to 2 years.

How can I get a protective order?

Locate the forms and conditions for a protective order online at and submit to the Tarrant County Courthouse located at 100 E Weatherford Street, Fort worth Texas 76196.

You can apply for a protective order through the district or county attorney, a private attorney, or through a legal aid service program. The application must be filed in the county in which you or the offender lives. There are no minimum time limits to establish residency, and protective orders are available in every county in Texas.

Unless a later date is requested by the applicant, the court shall set a hearing date no later than 14 days after the application is filed. If, however, the court finds from the information contained in the application that there is a clear and present danger of family violence, the court may immediately issue a temporary ex parte order. The temporary order is valid for up to 20 days. Final protective orders are effective for up to one year.

A magistrate's order for emergency protection (EPO) may be issued at the time of a defendant's appearance before a magistrate after arrest for an offense involving family violence or a sexual assault.

What is a restraining order?

A restraining order is a civil lawsuit directing a person to stay away from your home, school, or place of employment and not commit violence against you. The police cannot arrest a person for violating a restraining order.

Processing a restraining order civil lawsuit:

  • Contact a private attorney or visit the Tarrant County Law Library to self process lawsuit
  • Submit to the Arlington Municipal Court located at
    101 South Mesquite Street
    Arlington TX 76010
    Phone: 817-275-5970

If you have questions, contact:

Reimbursement for sexual assault examination

PDF file provided by the Texas Attorney General (2010)