Shimadzu Scientific Instruments, Inc. has generously funded a large number of chromatography,
spectroscopy, and mass spectrometry instruments. These are idea for supporting research
in a wide variety of engineering and science fields.
Guidelines for New Users
Create your own password-protected account on our FOM Reservation System
If, during the process, you get a "WARNING: You must add a valid financial account number before continuing" - Please type "internal" in the “Account Number” field.
It should not take more than 5 minutes to complete the process to set-up your account. Attached is a manual that might be helpful in the process.
If you have any trouble please contact Maciej Kukula – Facility Manager (email@example.com)
* Two HPLC-MS triple quadrupole systems (Shimadzu LCMS-8030); all HPLC-MS feature multiple ionization source and 2-D separations capabilities
o Ideal for small molecule quantitative analysis
* One HPLC-MS ion trap – time-of-flight system (Shimadzu LCMS-ITTOF)
o High mass accuracy (< 5 ppm error), high resolution, multi-stage tandem mass spectrometry
is ideal for qualitative analysis of small molecules and proteomics applications
* One FT – IR (Shimadzu IR Prestige) with far IR kit; qualitative functional group
All instruments are complete with appropriate software to support protein/biomolecule
analysis (MASCOT server), polymer analysis, proteomics, metabolomics, and surface/tissue
analysis, among others.
* Two HPLC-MS single quadrupole system (Shimadzu LCMS-2020)
o General mass spectrometric detection for HPLC separations and direct injection
* Two GC-MS single quadrupole systems (Shimadzu GCMS-QP2010 Ultra & GCMS-2010SE)
o Ideal analysis of volatile and semi-volatile small molecules
* One headspace GC-FID system (Shimadzu GC-2010 and CTC AOC 5000)
o Configured for blood alcohol analysis but ideal for trace analysis of volatile
molecules from solution or headspace
* One MALDI ion trap – time-of-flight – MS (Shimadzu Resonance)
o All MALDI (Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization) systems are ideal for small,
medium, and large molecule analysis, including intact proteins and polymers.
o This instrument, though limited in its upper mass range by the ion trap, is capable
of high mass accuracy multi-stage fragmentation of generated ions. (A unique capability
in the US)
* One MALDI – TOF-TOF – MS (Shimadzu Axima Performance)
o This instrument is ideal for proteomics, protein, and polymer analysis, in addition
to any general MALDI applications. The configuration of time-of-flight – collision
cell – time-of-flight analyzers provides virtually no limit in mass of ions that
can be interrogated by tandem mass spectrometry.
* One MALDI – TOF – MS (Shimadzu Axima MegaTOF); 1500 kDa detector range
o General MALDI mass spectrometer with an ultra-high mass range for analysis of high
molecular weight polymers and multi-protein complexes.
* One Gel Permeation Chromatography system with Accuspot automated fractionation/spotting
on MALDI target plate capabilities; ideal for polymer and protein analysis
* One Chemical Ink-jet Printer (Shimadzu ChIP-1000); preparation of tissue slices
and surfaces for MALDI-MS imaging by controlled picoliter spotting of laser-absorbing
* One ICP (inductively-coupled plasma) – OES atomic emission instrument (Shimadzu
ICP-9000); full range of quantitative and qualitative trace metals analysis.
* One Spectrofluorometer (Shimadzu RF-5301)
* One (1) UV-Vis Spectrophotometer (Shimadzu UV-1800)