Getting Started in Second Life
With these instructions, you'll:
- Create an account in Second Life (accounts are free)
- Choose the initial appearance of your avatar (you can change it later if you like)
- Download and install the Second Life viewer software (which you use to connect to Second Life)
- Log in for the first time, arriving at Destination Island, the initial location for new avatars
- Teleport to UT Arlington College of Nursing island in Second Life
There are a few things to check before you dive in to Second Life:
- You'll need a relatively modern desktop or laptop computer. Your smartphone or tablet will not work with Second Life.
- Will your computer run Second Life? See System Requirements
- You'll need a broadband internet connection. It's better if you have a wired connection (with your computer plugged in to your cable or DSL modem, or plugged in to your internet router). Some wireless connections work well, and others don't.
- If your instructor or your class group will be using voice chat, you'll need a headset. Tips for using voice chat
Already have an avatar but want tips and tricks with getting oriented in Second Life? See our collection of tutorials and tips & tricks