Troubleshooting: Your Avatar is a Cloud
Does your avatar look like a plasma cloud?
This happens when the graphics and other information for your avatar's appearance haven't finished downloading from the Second Life servers. This is a common occurrence!
Things you can try to un-cloud yourself:
- First, try waiting 5 minutes or so. This is especially true if you've only logged into Second Life one or two times before. Everything you see in Second Life is downloaded from the Second Life servers and then cached on your computer. This downloading and caching can take a little time.
- Also, if you are using a wireless internet connection, particularly in a public place, the process can take more time. Try to use a wired connection, with your computer plugged in with an ethernet cable, if possible. A wired connection is usually faster than a wireless one.
- Try "re-logging" -- that is, log out of Second Life and then log back in.
- Check your Second Life graphics preferences:
- At the top of your screen there are menu items. Choose "Me"
- Then choose "Preferences"
- Click on the Graphics tab
- Then set graphics to "Low"
- Try changing to a different outfit
- Along the right side of your screen are icons. Click the icon that looks like a suitcase (it's the second from the bottom). This will open the "My Inventory" panel.
- Click the "Library" folder to open it
- Then click the "Clothing" folder inside the Library
- Inside the Library Clothing folder are a lot of folders. Each one is a different complete outfit.
- Choose an outfit folder:
- Leftclick on the folder and hold down the mouse button
- Drag the folder onto your avatar
- This will change your current avatar look to the one from that folder
If none of these things work, contact Sarah Jones for help: email@example.com