Securely Sharing Data Using a UTA Box.com Account
- Logging in
- Receiving Invitation to View Files
- Receiving an Emailed Link to Files
- How to share files and folders using UTA Box accounts
- Deleting a File or Folder
While email is convenient for electronic transmissions, it is not considered secure as the message is typically sent unencrypted. UnEncrypted email use is not permitted for confidential data that might leave the University email system. Sharing of sensitive data by using encrypted email is not always a viable option due to file size, or difficulty for users to accept and understand its use.
Sharing of data may be accomplished by using a UTA Box account. Faculty and Staff are required to use a UTA Box account as opposed to a commercial box.com account for any University related business, research or academic data. Commercial Box should only be used by UTA employees for personal or non-UTA related purposes.
All Faculty and Staff at UTA, as well as Students needing to share data for academic purposes between fellow Students, Faculty and/or Staff, are eligible for a UTA Box (https://uta.box.com) account and can store and share documents securely with other users using UTA Box.
It is important to be mindful of the data's sensitivity and how and to whom data is shared within UTA Box. Data stored in a UTA Box account is is encrypted while being transmitted and at rest. Individual users can control how files and folders are shared with others. Information on how to share and receive data using UTA Box accounts are outlined below.
How to obtain a box account
Faculty, Staff, and Students (under the advisement of faculty or staff) can request a UTA Box account by contacting the OIT Help Desk at extension 2-2208 or by emailing email@example.com.
Important Note about Box Sync
Please note that the Box Sync feature can copy files from a box account to folders on your computer should not be used on non-encrypted or non-University owned devices. This is to prevent unauthorized users (e.g. family members or friends) from viewing sensitive University data on personal devices.
- Go to https://uta.app.box.com/ (You will see the page shown below)
- Click Continue and will you will be redirected to the UT Arlington Box Login Page
- Type in your username in the specified format: "UTA\yourNetID"
- Enter the password associated with your UTA NetID and click “Login”
When someone invites you to a folder in their Box account you will receive an email that looks like the example below.
- Open the email and click on the “View Folder” link. This will take you to the folder. The next time you log into UTA Box you will see the folder.
- Open the folder to view the files.
- Open the email and click the “View File” button.
- Click the “Download” button to save a copy of the file.
- You can then upload the file to a new folder in your UTA Box account.
Important Notes for sharing files and folders:
- It is critically important that you create, designate and share new folders on a case by case basis so that you can determine who specifically needs access to the contents. Failure to do so will risk inadvertently sharing content in your UTA Box account you did not plan to.
- Consider adopting a folder naming convention that will help organize the data you store or share and use sub folders liberally as is fit to have fine grained control of who can see the content.
- Note that sub folders will inherit permissions of parent folders – so be careful with your folder organization and sharing.
- Consider the retention period for the files you store on Box.com and then archive them to a UTA server for longer term storage. This will prevent data loss if UTA decides to discontinue the service.
- If needed for long term retention, make sure that you copy the files you receive from other box.com users to a UTA box.com folder you control or to other locations suitable and secure for long term storage. Failure to do so will risk loss of access to the files being shared as the sender may decide to cease sharing the files without notice.
- Click the 'New' button found on the upper-left-hand side of the 'All Files' page. A pop-up window will appear prompting you to enter the name of the new folder and whether you would like to invite 'collaborators' to the folder. You can choose to leave collaborators blank for now and invite them later.
- Consider your file structure. You may want to organize by year, term, or student name with sub-folders.
- Click 'Okay' to complete the folder creation process.
Use your UTA Box account to upload files to a folder that you will use to share with others outside UTA. You can upload files or folders but putting the documents in a folder will allow you to provide access to the files all in one group.
- Click the Upload button
- Click Upload Files or Upload Folders
- Select the file(s) or folder you'd like to upload.
- Click Open or Upload
Note: You can select multiple files for upload by holding the Command or Control key (Mac or Windows, respectively) while selecting files. However, you can only select one folder at a time for upload. Using a folder is the preferred method. This way you can invite the non-UTA outside entity as a Collaborator with Editor permissions to allow copying of files within the folder.
To move or copy a file or folder, simply drag it from its current location and drop it into the destination folder, just as you would with a file on your hard drive. You can also click on the drop-down menu next to the file name and select 'Move or Copy'. This will bring up a new window where you can click through your folder structure and select the new location for the file or folder. Once you have that location highlighted, click the 'Move' or 'Copy' button.
Sharing Documents with Outside/Non-UTA Users from a UTA Box Account
When a UTA Box user shares a file or folder with a third party, the third party user will need to use their enterprise box.com account or will be able to create a Box.com account.
With Box, there are two primary ways to share content. One way is by inviting existing Box users to folders using Box.com collaboration and is the preferred method. The alternative is using a password protected link (this is typically used in the event a recipient does not have a UTA Box account), and has password management overhead.
- Click the ellipsis (…) next to the file or folder you wish to share.
- A drop down menu will appear.
- Hover your mouse over the Sharing option. Another drop down menu will appear to the right.
- Click on "Invite Collaborators."
- The Invite window will open.
- Create the invite in the window (shown above) by following these steps:
- Add the intended collaborators email to the first large textbox labeled invite. To invite a third party user simply enter their email address.
- Use the drop down to select the permissions for the desired access you wish to grant.
- The last textbox is optional but you can add text that you wish to be sent inside the email the invitee will receive.
- Once all textboxes are correct, click "Send Invites."
- When collaborators are invited to a folder, the folder icon will change from manila yellow to blue. All collaborative folders will automatically appear at the top of your files list within your account.
Share individual files by sending the link to the third party using the permission of “People with the link”
- Click “Share” to the right of the file.
- Make sure “People with the link” is selected. People with the link can access and no Box account is required. Only use the non-authentication option when non-confidential information is being shared.
- Where confidential or controlled information is shared using this option you must also set a password and expiration for the link.
- Set a link expiry date of no more than 5 days (or the shortest practical period to complete your sharing)
- Set a hard to guess password that has a minimum of 8 characters, with a combination of upper and lower case alphabets, numbers and special characters.
- Use your discretion restrict download and/or preview access for link viewers.
- Click the Advanced settings button for extra security options. This is where you can set a password or expiration for the link, as well as restrict download and/or preview access for link viewers
- To set a “Link Expiration” select the option with the checkbox, enter the desired date, and click on the check button to confirm.
- By default “Allow Download” is checked. You should leave this checked so that UTA personnel can handle the file as needed.
- Click “Save” once you have selected your security options.
- Enter the email address of the third party user.
- Modify the message as desired and click “Send.”
Note: Once sharing of the files is no longer needed; remove from collaboration folder in box.
To delete a file or a folder, click on the drop-down menu for that item and select 'Delete.' A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm if you would like to delete the file or the folder. After you confirm the deletion, the item will be moved to the trash.
To delete multiple files and/or folders, check the box shown on the right side of each item. Once you have selected each item, scroll to the top of the file display area and click the trash icon to delete.
Note: if you delete and item inadvertently, it will remain in your trash and will be recoverable for 30 days.