How Non-UTA Box Users Can Share Data with UTA Box Users
During the normal course of university business, academic instruction or research, there will be occasions where confidential information needs to be securely transmitted to, or shared with, UT Arlington employees. Box.com has been adopted by UT Arlington for employees as a method for securely sharing information. Using Box.com the recommended method because the data is encrypted when being transmitted between computers and Box.com, and the data is encrypted while stored on Box.com.
Email should never be considered for transimitting confidential information as both sender and recepient have no assurance that the message is being sent via encrypted means (such as TLS).
Non-UT Arlington individuals who need to securely share sensitive documents with UTA can create a box account at no cost if they don’t already have one at www.box.com. There is an option for a free account for individual users and of course a variety of business options. Box is designed for sharing documents with a group to edit and/or view. These instructions do not provide step by step instructions on how to create a box.com account, and assume one already exists. The purpose of this document is to provide instructions on how to use a box account to share data with UTA.
Note to UTA Employees - Faculty and Staff are required to use UTA Box for any University related business, research or academic data. Commercial Box should only be used by UTA employees for personal or non-UTA related purposes. Students may also request a UTA Box account for academic use to share data between fellow students, Faculty, and/or Staff.
This document is intended to provide instructions to non-UTA indviiduals who are required or desire to send documents to a UTA employee. The instructions are sufficiently generic for UTA box user to refer to when sharing files.
With Box, there are two primary ways to share content with UTA. One way is by inviting existing Box users to folders using "Box.com Collaboration" and is the preferred method. The alternative is using a password protected link (this is typically used in the event a UTA recipient does not have a UTA Box account).
Important notes for sharing files and folders:
It is critically important that you create, designate and share new folders on a case by case basis so that you can determine who specifically needs access to the contents. Failure to do so will risk inadvertently sharing content in your UTA Box account you did not plan.
- Consider adopting a folder naming convention that will help organize the data you store or share and use sub folders liberally as is fit to have fine grained control of who can see the content.
- Note that sub folders will inherit permissions of parent folders – so be careful with your folder organization and sharing.
The first step is to login to your Box account. Then Upload the file(s) to be shared to box (either individual files or into a folder).
- Click the 'New' button found on the upper-left-hand side of the 'All Files' page. A pop-up window will appear prompting you to enter the name of the new folder and whether you would like to invite 'collaborators' to the folder.
- Click 'Okay' to complete the folder creation process.
- Click the Upload button
- Click Upload Files or Upload Folders
- Select the file(s) or folder you'd like to upload.
- Click Open or Upload
Note: You can select multiple files for upload by holding the Command or Control key (Mac or Windows, respectively) while selecting files. However, you can only select one folder at a time for upload. Using a folder is the preferred method. This way you can invite the UTA account holder as a Collaborator with Editor permissions to allow copying of files within the folder.
- Click the ellipsis (…) next to the file or folder you wish to share.
- A drop down menu will appear.
- Hover your mouse over the Sharing option. Another drop down menu will appear to the right.
- Click on "Invite Collaborators."
The Invite window will open.
Create the invite in the window (shown above) by following these steps:
- Add the intended collaborators email to the first large textbox labeled invite. To invite UTA employees simply enter their @uta.edu email address.
- Use the drop down to select the permissions for the desired access you wish to grant.
- The last textbox is optional but you can add text that you wish to be sent inside the email the invitee will receive.
- Once all textboxes are correct, click "Send Invites."
When collaborators are invited to a folder, the folder icon will change from manila yellow to blue. All collaborative folders will automatically appear at the top of your files list within your account.
Share individual files by sending the link to the UTA account using the permission of “People with the link”
- Click “Share” to the right of the file.
- Make sure “People with the link” is selected. People with the link can access and no Box account is required. Only use the non-authentication option when non-confidential information is being shared.
- Where confidential or controlled information is shared using this option you must also set a password and expiration for the link.
- Set a link expiry date of no more than 5 days (or the shortest practical period to complete your sharing)
- Set a hard to guess password that has a minimum of 8 characters, with a combination of upper and lower case alphabets, numbers and special characters.
- Use your discretion restrict download and/or preview access for link viewers.
- Click the Advanced settings button for extra security options. This is where you can set a password, expiration for the link, as well as restrict download and/or preview access for link viewers
- To set a “Link Expiration” select the option with the checkbox, enter the desired date, and click on the check button to confirm.
- By default “Allow Download” is checked. You should leave this checked so that UTA personnel can handle the file as needed.
- Click “Save” once you have selected your security options.
- Enter the email address of the UTA employee.
- Modify the message as desired and click “Send.”