The Faculty Senate administers travel funding for tenure-stream faculty. These funds are available to full-time tenure-track/tenured faculty only. Up to $750/faculty member, one award per academic year (based on the first day of travel), may be awarded. All travel requests must be approved prior to travel. Funding will not be awarded retroactively. Funds will be allocated at the discretion of the Senate’s Executive Committee (hereafter “Committee”) based on review on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Senate travel awards are meant as a resource of “last resort” where other travel funds are unavailable from such sources as annual travel allotments or other department/college-based funds, start-up account funds, and allowable grant resources. Senate travel funds are not available until such sources are expended.
Deadlines and Timelines
The Committee will review applications received by the last working business day of every month. A request must be submitted at least 45 days before the first expected day of travel. The Committee will notify applicants of whether or not they receive funding within ten business days after the monthly submission deadline.
Applying and Required Information
Departmental Admins/Travel Representatives may apply on behalf of the faculty member, much as in the same manner as applying for funding from the Office of the Vice President of Research. Requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the listed deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Requests should include the following information:
- Conference or other event name
- Conference or other event Venue and location
- Period of conference or other event
- Travel period
- Reason for travel: Present paper, present other work (creative activity), other. Please provide brief description of purpose of travel.
- If “Other”, please explain in more detail. This funding is provided solely to improve UT Arlington’s faculty excellence and national/international reputation in research and/or creative activity. Acceptable uses of these travel funds in the “other” category may include, but are not limited to: shopping a book proposal at a related conference, attending a pedagogy conference for the explicit goal of improving instruction, etc. Please note all decisions of the senate travel committee are final.
- Contribution from Department (if known)
- Contribution from College/School (if known)
- Contribution from Vice President of Research (if known)
- Total Estimated Expenses, including Meals, Airfare, Lodging, Other Transportation Fees, Registration Fees (note, the Senate will not reimburse membership fees)
- Home Department Cost Center number for reimbursement (Senate will transfer funds to department upon approval of application)
- A statement that no other travel funds are available to fully cover the requested travel. Other funds include department/college travel funds, grants/other research support with travel allotments, start-up accounts or other college/department-based resources. Available, alternative sources do not have to be exhausted -- just insufficient to cover the proposed travel.
Processing Reimbursements and Awards
Receipts and other costs will be processed by the awardee’s departmental travel admin. Instructions for obtaining awarded funds are included in the award notification letter. If anything in this document appears to conflict with the Handbook of Operating Procedures or the travel procedures outlined by the Office of Business Affairs and Controller here, those documents take precedence. Questions may be addressed to the Chair of the Faculty Senate, David Coursey, at email@example.com.