- Masters degree in Social Work
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 minimum, on the last 60 hours as calculated by the Graduate School
- Masters GPA of 3.4 minimum as calculated by the Graduate School
- A Graduate Record Examination or EXADEP score that evidences an ability to do satisfactory graduate work if the masters GPA is less than 3.4
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of academic goals consistent with the Social Work Program
- Professional writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation indicating professional and academic potential
- A score of 550 on the written TOEFL Examination or 213 on the computer version if English is not the applicant’s first language
- Statistics course within five years of applying for the program or take a statistical placement test.*
*If you do not pass the test you will be required to take an undergraduate or graduate statistics course during the summer and receive a grade of “B” or higher. The student will be placed on provisional status until they pass the statistics course with a grade of “B” or better. The course can be an undergraduate statistics course taken at UTA or another institution with the approval of the director.
Unconditional PhD Admission: An applicant is admitted unconditionally when all documentation relating to admissions criteria is received and performance on a majority of the criteria is acceptable.
Probationary PhD Admission: An applicant whose Undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 or Masters GPA is below 3.4 or that the scores on the GRE or EXADEP do not indicate ability to do satisfactory graduate work, may be admitted on probation when performance on the majority of the remaining criteria is acceptable.
Provisional Admission: An applicant unable to supply all required documentation prior to the admission decision deadline but that otherwise appears to meet admission requirements may be granted provisional admission.
Denial of PhD Admission: Candidates may be denied admission if they have less than satisfactory performance on a majority of the admissions criteria.
Deferred Admission: A deferred decision may be granted when a file is incomplete or when a denial decision is not appropriate.
- If you have graduated with a Masters degree from a University other than UT Arlington, you must obtain an
Application for Admission form.
If, however, you received a Masters degree from UT Arlington, you do not fill out the Application for Admission form. Instead, you will need to obtain an Application for Readmission to the Graduate School and a Request to Change Graduate Program form.
If you have or will graduate during the Spring or Summer semester and are applying for the Doctoral program for the next immediate Fall semester then you will only need to fill out the Request to Change Graduate Program form.
All of these forms may be obtained from the School of Social Work PhD Program Office or from the Graduate School (817-272-2688).
- Complete the forms and send them to
UT Arlington Graduate School
Arlington, TX 76019-0167
Alternately, you may apply online at http://www.applytexas.org.
- Complete the remainder of the admissions materials and mail it directly to
UT Arlington PhD Program Office
211 South Cooper
Arlington, TX 76019-0129
The additional admissions materials that you will send to the PhD Program Office are
- 3 references (Visit the Graduate School website or SSW PHD program website for form)
- Sample of written work
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of educational and professional goals
Please request that your transcripts be sent directly to the Graduate School. Also make sure to send your Application form and fee to the Graduate School, as it must be processed there first, and then the Graduate School will send a copy of your Application form to the School of Social Work (SSW) PhD Program Office. The SSW PhD Program accepts new students during the Fall semesters. The next available opening is for Fall 2013. All application requested by the SSW PhD Program Office must be submitted no later than date January 15, 2013. Please check back with this website for updates.