What type of jobs will I be able to obtain with a PhD in International Comparative Social Welfare Policy?

You can become a university professor of social work or policy studies, a full time researcher, a full time policy-maker or analyst for a government agency or private corporation, or a full time employee or consultant for international organizations such as the United Nations, the Organization of American States, the Inter-American Development Bank, the Red Cross, Care, Caritas, ADRA International, and others.

Do I need a masters in social work to be admitted to this international PhD program?

No. A masters degree in social work is highly desirable; however, applicants with degrees in other disciplines may also be admitted. Graduates from any PhD program who become university professors and who do not hold a masters degree in social work, will not be qualified to teach direct practice (counseling) social work courses. Students wanting to be eligible to teach such courses have the option of completing an MSSW in combination with the PhD. Most policy specialists, however, are not interested in teaching direct practice courses.

How long will it take to complete this program?

It will take two years of full time study to complete the course work for this program. It may then take one or two more years to complete the doctoral dissertation.

What kind of financial aid is available?

The Council on Social Work Education, the National Association of Social Workers, the Hispanic Heritage Foundation, and other foundations often provide financial assistance for the completion of graduate degrees. You are encouraged to contact these organizations early. In addition to this, The University of Texas at Arlington may provide research assistantships, teaching assistantships, scholarships, and tuition waivers to qualified students. Finally, the U.S. Federal Government may guarantee student loans of up to $18,000 per year for eligible doctoral students.