Required documents needed for consideration for admissions to PhD Program:
- MSW/MSSW or MA in related field. Applicants who do not have a MSW/MSSW are expected to have experience in human services and complete an introductory social work course and diversity course.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 minimum, on the last 60 hours as calculated by the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration
- Masters GPA of 3.4 minimum as calculated by the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration.
- A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of academic goals consistent with the Social Work Program
- Professional writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation indicating professional and academic potential
TOEFL score recommendation: International applicants must submit a score of at least 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, a score of at least 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, a minimum score of 7.0 on the IELTS, or a minimum TOEFL iBT total score of 90 with sectional scores that meet or exceed 23 for the writing section, 23 for the speaking section, 22 for the reading section, and 22 for the listening section to meet this requirement.
Statistics course within five years of applying for the program or take a statistical placement test.*
*If you do not pass the test you will be required to take an undergraduate or graduate statistics course during the summer and receive a grade of "B” or higher. The student will be placed on provisional status until they pass the statistics course with a grade of “B” or better. The course can be an undergraduate statistics course taken at UTA or another institution with the approval of the director.
Unconditional PhD Admission: An applicant is admitted unconditionally when all documentation relating to admissions criteria is received and performance on a majority of the criteria is acceptable.
Provisional Admission: An applicant unable to supply all required documentation prior to the admission decision deadline but that otherwise appears to meet admission requirements may be granted provisional admission.
Denial of PhD Admission: Candidates may be denied admission if they have less than satisfactory performance on a majority of the admissions criteria.
Deferred Admission: A deferred decision may be granted when a file is incomplete or when a denial decision is not appropriate.
1. If you have graduated with a Master’s degree from a University other than UT Arlington, you must obtain an Application for Admission form. Visit the website for application information at: http://grad.pci.uta.edu/prospective/apply/.
If, however, you received a Master’s degree from UT Arlington, you do not fill out the Application for Admission form. Instead, you will need to obtain an Application for Readmission to the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration and a Request to Change Graduate Program form. Visit the website on how to apply: http://grad.pci.uta.edu/prospective/apply/.
If you have or will graduate at UTA during the Spring or Summer semester and are applying for the Doctoral program for the next immediate Fall semester then you will only need to fill out the Request to Change Graduate Program form. Visit the website on how to at: http://grad.pci.uta.edu/prospective/apply/.
2. Visit the School of Social Work website to review admissions requirements before you apply at: http://www.uta.edu/ssw/admissions/PhD%20Admissions.php. Additional forms can be obtained from the School of Social Work PhD Program. You can request these forms by email or call to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 817-272-3928.
3. For applications forms please visit the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration or email your questions to: www.uta.edu/uta/admissions/ask:
Prospective Student Center
123 Davis Hall
Visit the UTA Office of Admissions and Records and Registration website to review prospective student information at: http://grad.pci.uta.edu/prospective/apply/howto/
4. Complete the remainder of the admissions materials and mail it directly to
UT Arlington PhD Program Office
211 South Cooper
Arlington, TX 76019-0129
You many send the following admissions materials directly to the PhD Program Office:
- Three (3) references (Visit the Graduate School website or SSW PHD program website for form
- Sample of written work
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of educational and professional goals
Please request that your transcripts be sent directly to the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration. Also make sure to send your Application form and fee to the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration, as it must be processed there first, and then the Office of Admissions, Records, and Registration will send a copy of your application form to the School of Social Work (SSW) PhD Program Office. The SSW PhD Program accepts new students during the Fall semesters.
The priority deadline for applications is January 15th. Immediately following the January 15th deadline, faculty members begin the initial review of applications. To be included in the initial review process, application materials should be received by January 15th. Although applications may continue to be reviewed and may be accepted after the January 15th deadline, all available slots may be filled if application is received after the January 15th deadline.