Prospective students seeking admission to The School of Social Work must first apply for admission to UT Arlington and submit all official transcripts and required entrance test scores. An application fee must be paid to the Office of Admissions 30 days prior to the beginning of registration.There are several types of admission categories:
- Entering Freshman
- Early Admission Program
- Provisional Program
- Applicants 25 Years of Age
- Individual Approval
- International Students and Permanent Residents
After admission, students must remain in good standing with the University. For specific criteria regarding these admissions you should refer to The University of Texas at Arlington Undergraduate Catalog
Students should next speak with an academic advisor. You may speak to a Social Work advisor even if you haven't decided to be a social work major yet. However, a social work advisor can only clear students for enrollment who declare that social work is their chosen major. You may ask the social work advisor to make this "change of major" to social work for you.
Admission Requirements for the B.S.W. Program
Students must be admitted to the B.S.W. program prior to enrolling in SOCW 3304.
Admission to the B.S.W. program for freshmen and transfer students requires:
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or better; 2.5 in SOCW courses
- Completion of 12 hours in residence at UT Arlington
- Completion of SOCW 2311 and SOCW 2313 with a grade of C or better
- Completion of 40 hours of courses, including:
- English 1301 and 1302
- Math 1301 or 1302
- Psychology 1315
- Sociology 1311
- Political Science 2311 (United States Government)
- Completion of the BSW Admission Application Form
- Submission of a personal essay outlining career goals
- Submission of a criminal background statement
The application and personal statement should be submitted to the BSW Program Administrative Assistant, Barbara Saenz.
Transfer students must take at least 25% of their courses at UT Arlington; at least 18 hours must be upper level SOCW courses. Evaluations of transfer credits are performed by advisors. Other social work courses can be transferred based on how closely they follow the equivalent UT Arlington course.
For students prior to Fall 2014: Download B.S.W. Degree Plan
For students beginning Fall 2014 or later: Download B.S.W. Degree Plan
For questions about applying to the BSW Program, contact Marlene Waage, Advisor III.