Skip to main content

Title IV-E Project

About the Title IV-E Stipend for CPS Employees

Stipend Eligibility Requirements:

Most CVS, Kinship Care, FAD, Family Group Conferencing and PAL positions are eligible.  Generally positions working directly with children in foster care are eligible.  If unsure, please check with Karen Parson, ROSA, at the DFPS Regional Office at, (817) 792-5242.

Positions not currently eligible for the stipend include Investigations and FBSS.

There is a minimum requirement of one year of employment in any CPS position before your expected first semester begins.

• Employees already enrolled in the BSW or MSW program that have not reached the minimum employment time at CPS can always apply when eligible; applications can be submitted prior to the one- year mark.

Stipend students must remain in an eligible position while receiving the stipend and until employment payback is completed after graduation.

Requirements for TDFPS-CPS Employee Stipend

The applicant must:

  • Be a Child Protective Services employee in a IV-E eligible position
  • Be admitted into the UTA MSSW Graduate School
  • Meet District Eligibility Requirements
  • Be a Child Protective Services employee in a IV-E eligible position
  • Be admitted into the UTA MSSW Graduate School
  • Have administrative approval
  • Take 6 hours of coursework per semester and graduate in at least four years
  • Agree to work for TDFPS-CPS after graduation based on 4 full months of employment for each semester the stipend is received. If the employment commitment is not fulfilled, the employee must repay the commitment in U.S. Dollars.
  • The employee receives 3 hours of educational leave from the agency for coursework.
  • The TDFPS-CPS employee stipend is $4,000.00 per semester

Applying for a Title IV-E Stipend

  1. Discuss interest in continuing your education with your supervisor.
  2. Send an official proposal via e-mail to your supervisor and Cc: as well as

    This informs everyone that you are interested and plan to follow through. Your proposal needs to state why you feel you are a good candidate for the stipend and how you plan to successfully balance work and school. A few paragraphs are needed to fully state your strengths. Be sure to include your actual position. Once this is received, you will be sent the Supervisor’s Checklist. When that is completed and returned, your application will be complete

    If you meet eligibility requirements, Karen Parson will contact you to set up an interview.

  3. Complete a DFPS Employee Stipend Application included in packet or can be sent to you electronically.

Please do not send Social Security Numbers via e-mail.

Application Deadlines:

Fall - June 1st

Spring - October 15th

Summer - March 1st

Applying to the MSW Program:

How to request a packet:

    1. Send an email to Include "MSW Admissions Packet Request" in the subject line as well as your name, address, daytime phone number, cell phone number, and email address.
    2. Apply online at using the Texas common application for graduate schools.

Dolores Bevins, the School of Social Work's Admissions Support Specialist, can be reached at or (817) 272-1044.

• Application packets containing graduate school and stipend information will also be provided at informal meetings at CPS offices throughout the year and at training sessions provided by the Center for Child Welfare at UTA.

• The Title IV-E Specialist works closely with the MSW Admissions Office and can assist with the application process.

• Recent BSW graduates can usually be admitted in the fall, spring, or summer semester. Applicants with other degrees can be admitted in fall and spring only.

Applicants with at least a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study are not required to take the GRE.

It’s best to get your application and transcripts in early if you think you may be below a 3.0. This gives you time to prepare to take the GRE.