Publicity is often the key to the success of programs planned by organizations. Due to the frequency of programs on campus, the following guidelines have been established relative to posting signs on campus so as to allow all departments and student organizations adequate space to advertise.
All postings should have the following:
- Full name of student organization or department
- A 2”x2” white square in the bottom right-hand corner (for the Student Activities & Organizations date stamp)
[NOTE: Postings lacking the above items will not be approved.]
Signs, fliers, and banners must be date-stamped by the Office of Student Activities & Organizations prior to posting (except those related to a Student Congress election and those posted by departments on their own departmental boards). All signs and fliers should be placed on designated boards only unless the Office of Student Activities & Organizations grants special permission. Signs and banners posted in areas controlled by academic and administrative units must follow the prescribed procedures set forth by those units controlling the space. The University will remove unstamped or improperly located signs on campus. The sponsoring organization/department will be held monetarily responsible for repeated violations of the sign policy.
Content & Posting Policy
Content—Signs, Fliers, Banners
No one may post a sign, flyer or banner that involves unauthorized commercial solicitation; contains obscene or libelous material; or directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action; advocates the deliberate violation of any federal, state or local law.
Literature distributed on campus may contain the following advertising:
1. Advertising for a registered student, faculty, or staff organization, or an administrative or academic unit;
2. Advertising for an organization that is tax exempt under 501(c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (non-profit organization);
3. Paid advertising in a publication primarily devoted to promoting the view of a non-profit organization, and any other advertising expressly authorized by Regents’ Rules and Regulations, or by contract with the University.
Posting—Signs, Flyers, Banners
All signs that are to be posted on a bulletin board or other designated location not administered by an academic or administrative unit must be date-stamped by the Office of Student Activities & Organizations, and comply with the Sign Implementation Policy.
1. Standard flyer size for display on campus is 8.5” x 11”. Any sign less than or equal to
11" x 17” is considered a flyer.
2. Outdoor banners may not be more than 8' x 3' (feet). Signs in excess of these sizes require special permission from the Office of Student Activities & Organizations.
3. Fliers to be displayed on campus will be limited to fifty (50) per event. Banners may not exceed six (6). All signs are valid for a period of up to ten (10) class days.
4. Signs and fliers must be posted on approved bulletin boards in buildings.
5. Personal notices may not exceed ten (10) and should be on a 5” x 8” card (half-sheet of paper) and displayed on approved bulletin boards only. They will be valid for a period of up to thirty (30) days.