Posting of Materials on Campus
Publicity is often the key to the success of programs planned by organizations. Due to the frequency of programs on campus, the following guidelines have been established relative to posting signs on campus so as to allow all departments and student organizations adequate space to advertise.
All postings should have the following:
- Full name of student organization or department
- A 2 × 2 in. blank square in the bottom right-hand corner (for the approval date stamp)
Postings lacking the above items will not be approved.
Signs, fliers, and banners must be date-stamped by the Office of Student Activities & Organizations prior to posting (except those related to a Student Congress election and those posted by departments on their own departmental boards). All signs and fliers should be placed on designated boards only unless the Office of Student Activities & Organizations grants special permission. Signs and banners posted in areas controlled by academic and administrative units must follow the prescribed procedures set forth by those units controlling the space. The University will remove unstamped or improperly located signs on campus. The sponsoring organization/department will be held monetarily responsible for repeated violations of the sign policy.
Content & Posting Policy
Content—Signs, Fliers, Banners (HOP 11-500)
No one may post a sign, flyer or banner that involves unauthorized commercial solicitation; contains obscene or libelous material; or directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action; advocates the deliberate violation of any federal, state or local law.
Content—Distribution Literature (HOP 11-403)
Literature distributed on campus may contain the following advertising:
- Advertising for a registered student, faculty, or staff organization, or an administrative or academic unit;
- Advertising for an organization that is tax exempt under 501(c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (non-profit organization);
- Paid advertising in a publication primarily devoted to promoting the view of a non-profit organization, and any other advertising expressly authorized by Regents’ Rules and Regulations, or by contract with the university.
Posting—Signs, Flyers, Banners
- Download a listing of the Approved Posting Locations and Guidelines [PDF]
All signs that are to be posted on a bulletin board or other designated location not administered by an academic or administrative unit must be date-stamped by the Office of Student Activities & Organizations, and comply with the Sign Implementation Policy.
- Standard flyer size for display on campus is 8½ × 11 in. Any sign less than or equal to 11 × 17 in. is considered a flyer.
- Outdoor banners may not be more than 8 × 3 ft. Signs in excess of these sizes require special permission from the Office of Student Activities & Organizations.
- Fliers to be displayed on campus will be limited to fifty (50) per event. Banners may not exceed six (6). All signs are valid for a period of up to ten (10) class days.
- Signs and fliers must be posted on approved bulletin boards in buildings.
- Personal notices may not exceed ten (10) and should be on a 5 × 8 in. card (half-sheet of paper) and displayed on approved bulletin boards only. They will be valid for a period of up to thirty (30) days.
All sidewalk writing must be registered in advance at the Student Organizations office. The following rules shall apply unless permission is otherwise granted by the director:
- Each organization will be allowed to request up to five campus sidewalk areas. These are generally limited to the UC Mall, Library Mall, and Engineering Mall/Quad
- Writing must be done with water-souble chalk only (i.e., no temporarily adhesive/spray chalk)
- Writing must be done on sidewalk surfaces only
- Message must advertise upcoming campus events
- No chalking on buildings, bridges or steps
- No chalking inside buildings or within 25 feet of the entrance to a building