The Student Affairs strategic plan was created in Summer 2012 by the Student Affairs Strategic Planning Committee. Each of the initiatives are currently being researched at a divisional level by Student Affairs committees.
Imperatives to the Plan’s Success
Building a Culture of Accountability through Assessment
• To measure the success of the strategic initiatives, departments must constantly evaluate and assess student satisfaction, program effectiveness, and outcomes in order to improve programs, services, and initiatives. Departments must evaluate current programs and make decisions based on assessment data.
Aligning our Financial Resources to the Plan
• In response to the financial climate, the Division will utilize resources responsibly and in ways that directly support the seven strategic initiatives. In addition, the Division must be committed to securing financial support from new internal and external sources.
Intentional Collaborations On and Off Campus
• By building collaborations with partners on and off campus, the Division can reach a broader audience, share financial and human resources, and strengthen our services and programs.
Strategic Initiatives and Action Steps
Initiative #1 – Student Success
Implement strategies that will foster student success and result in an effective transition to college, retention, timely graduation and career placement.
- Implement strategies to promote academic success for student employees, leaders, and volunteers across the Division.
- Improve student retention and graduation rates through involvement and engagement.
- Create, promote, and expand opportunities to help students accomplish their career goals.
- Expand peer-to-peer mentoring and peer education programs throughout the Division.
- Expand employment opportunities that are competitive for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Provide outstanding New Maverick Orientation programs for freshmen, transfers, international and graduate students.
- Collaborate with University College Programs to develop and implement a First Year Seminar course.
Initiative #2 – Intentional Student Learning and Personal Development
Engage students in intentional active learning opportunities inside and outside the classroom.
- Develop and implement divisional learning outcomes.
- Provide quality co-curricular educational programs to support the divisional student learning outcomes.
- Collaborate with academic affairs to develop and support curricular programs.
Initiative #3 – Leadership Development
Create opportunities for students to learn about leadership through their co-curricular, academic, and employment experiences.
- Adopt a shared Divisional approach to leadership.
- Provide training and development for division student employees and volunteers related to leadership, practical and transferrable skills.
- Position The Leadership Center as the University-wide resource for leadership initiatives.
- Collaborate with Academic Affairs to offer a bachelor’s degree in leadership studies and to expand the leadership minor.
- Collaborate with variouys academic units to increase the number of undergraduate and graduate internship placements in the division.
- Develop division-wide support of the co-curricular transcript.
Initiative #4 – Student Programs and Services
Provide comprehensive programs and services for all students that are recognized for excellence.
- Ensure that current programs and services are aligned with university and divisional priorities.
- Utilize research and best practices to implement new programs and services that meet the needs of students categorized as off campus students, international students, transfer students, distance education students, graduate students, and other underserved groups as needs arise.
- The staff will seek educational opportunities to learn more about the populations that may be underserved.
Initiative #5 – Engagement, Citizenship, and Civility
Encourage campus and community involvement, engagement, citizenship, civility, and Maverick pride.
- Develop an initiative to promote community expectations for conduct, service, academic integrity, civility, engagement, and campus traditions.
- Improve major programming initiatives such as Welcome Week and Homecoming.
- Encourage greater student involvement in the development and implementation of traditions and events.
- Encourage students to be good citizens through civic engagement and service opportunities on and off campus.
Initiative #6 – Diversity and Inclusion
Cultivate a supportive campus atmosphere based on respect and understanding that embraces individuals from diverse backgrounds and prepares them for a global world.
- Create a diversity plan that includes staff recruiting, hiring, and staff training.
- Provide identity-based training for student employees and volunteers.
- Provide opportunities for intergroup dialogue related to diversity and inclusion.
- Encourage and promote an awareness of global issues, internationalization, and multicultural education outside the classroom.
- Utilize research and best practices to implement new programs and services that address spirituality and religion, ability and disability, gender, sexuality, nationality, and other identities as needs arise.
Initiative #7 – Safety and Wellness
Provide services and educational programs and services that promote student health, safety and wellness.
- Collaborate with campus, community, and national partners to improve alcohol and drug education and programming for our students.
- Improve the quality of health, mental health, and wellness services and programs.
- Improve risk management education including student organization training, bystander intervention programming, hazing prevention, personal decision making, and mental health awareness.
- Implement required annual professional staff training on issues related to mental and emotional health of our students.
- Centralize efforts to provide cohesive messaging, increased accessibility, and quality services.
Click here to view a PDF of the strategic plan.
Show the family what it takes to be a Maverick during a weekend filled with demonstrations, competitions, entertainment, and more.