- Air North Texas Be Air Aware and Clean Air Action Day
- Civil engineers increase energy created from solid waste
- Travel Support Grants
(Max) Qinhong Hu, Ph.D.
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences College of Science
Ph.D. in Contaminant Hydrogeology, University of Arizona, 1995
Areas of Sustainability/Environmental Expertise
For more than twenty years, my research has focused on environmental science and engineering relating to the nexus of energy (shale gas, nuclear), environment, and water resources. So far in my career I have published about 70 peer-reviewed journal articles.
Summary of Current and Ongoing Research
- Innovative approaches for characterizing pore structure in porous media
- Nano-petrophysics and shale-gas production behavior
- Pore connectivity of porous media and its effect on fluid flow and chemical transport
- Effects of hydraulic fracturing on drinking water aquifers and water resources
- Contaminant fate and transport in vadose and saturated zones
- Physical, chemical, and biological processes in porous and fractured media
- Coupled processes affecting remediation efficacy of contaminated sites
Publications and Research
- Hu, QH, RP Ewing, and S Dultz. 2012. Pore connectivity in natural rock. J. Contam. Hydrol. 133: 76-83.
- Du, JQ, J Bao, QH Hu, and RP Ewing. 2012. Uranium release from different size fractions of sediments in Hanford 300 Area, Washington, USA. J. Environ. Radioactivity 107: 92-94.
- Peng, S, QH Hu, RP Ewing, CX Liu, and JM Zachara. 2012. Quantitative 3-D elemental mapping by LA-ICP-MS for basalt at the Hanford 300 Area Site. Environ. Sci. Technol. 46(4): 2025-2032.
- Peng, S, QH Hu, and S Hamamoto. 2012. Diffusivity of rocks: Gas diffusion measurements and correlation to porosity and pore-size distribution. Water Resour. Res. 48, No. 2, W02507, doi:10.1029/2011WR011098.
Awards and Grants
- “Analyzing and modeling chemical penetration in building materials”; DOE/LLNL; 11/2010-12/2013.
- “Integrated experimental and modeling approaches to studying the fracture-matrix interaction in gas recovery from Barnett shale”; DOE/NETL/RPSEA; 11/2010-4/2013.
- “Effects of pore-scale physics on uranium geochemistry in Hanford sediments”; DOE/OS/SBR; 9/2010-8/2013.
- Wiley Visiting Scientist Fellowship, Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL), Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), 2010
- Fulbright Specialist Award, Fulbright Scholar Program, Council for Exchange of International Scholars, U.S. Department of State, 2010
“When the water chokes you, what are you to drink to wash it down?” — Aristotle