Add - To increase the number of classes in your schedule. The maximum is 19 hours for the fall and spring semesters, 14 for the summer semesters and 3 for winter or summer intersessions.
Drop - To remove a class from your schedule; to quit a class sometime before a final grade is assigned (without impacting your GPA) and receive a W on your transcript
Six-Drop Limit -- Any student who entered a Texas public institution of higher education as a first time undergraduate in the Fall 2007 or later may drop no more than six classes for academic reasons during his or her academic career
Schedule Changes -- Add/Drop Policies
After a student has registered for a semester, schedule changes can be made only during the scheduled Add/Drop periods. For the exact days of the Add/Drop period, a student may check the University Academic Calendar and Registration Timetable.
A student may register, add or drop a course using the UT Arlington Registration website, MyMav. Incoming freshman may nee advisor assistance to make changes. The MyMav registration system is available 24 hours a day, except on Sundays from 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.
Implications of Dropping a Class
Before students drop a class, they should see an academic advisor or other appropriate UTA staff to consider the following implications of their actions. Some common implications are:
- Slowed progress in a student's major and toward graduation
- Financial aid or scholarships
- Current semester tuition and fees
- Future tuition and fees
Process for Dropping a Class
- During the Add/Drop period, a student may drop a course using the MyMav system.
- After the Add/Drop period is over, a student may still drop a class, but "adds" are not allowed. These drops must be made in person through an academic advisor for your major.
- No drops are allowed after the final drop date in the tenth week of the semester.
- For the exact dates of the Add/Drop period, a student may check the University Academic Calendar.
- Students who want to drop all of their courses for a semester need to withdraw from the University.
Important Fall Date: Friday, October 29, 2014 is the last day to drop a class for the fall semester.
If you have more questions about the add/drop policy, please schedule an appointment to speak with academic advisor or call 817-272-3140.