What Is Advising?
Through academic advising, students learn to become members of their higher education community, to think critically about their roles and responsibilities as students, and to prepare to be educated citizens of a democratic society and a global community. Academic advising engages students beyond their own world views, while acknowledging their individual characteristics, values, and motivations as they enter, move through, and exit the institution (NACADA, 2006).
Academic Advisor Responsibilities
- Inform students of the nature of the advising-advisee relationship.
- Develop a purposeful relationship with advisees.
- Provide contact information and posted office hours.
- Keep appointments or call if it is necessary to change or cancel an appointment.
- Inform inquiring students of campus resources and special services available to them.
- Assist students in defining and developing desired educational, career, and life plans.
- Assist students in preparing a program that is consistent with their abilities and interests.
- Monitor progress toward educational and career goals.
- Listen and help develop a realistic plan of action to meet student goals.
- Interpret and provide rationale for institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Refer students when attitudinal, attendance, or personal problems require intervention by other professionals.
The University Advising Center is dedicated to serving the needs of freshmen and undeclared students at UT Arlington. We are located in Ransom Hall, suite 105.
Current Freshmen and Undeclared UT Arlington Students (Major-Intended Students must contact their home department)
Currently enrolled freshmen and undeclared UT Arlington students who would like to speak with an advisor may schedule an appointment online or call 817-272-3140. If you have questions about specific UAC services or university policies, you may also contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prospective UT Arlington Students
If you are a prospective student, please visit the New Student Welcome Center for more information about becoming a UT Arlington Maverick. For more information about majors or academic policies, please sign up for one of our Prospective Student Information Sessions.