Peer Educator Employment
Thank you for your interest in applying for a position with the University College Learning Center (UCLC). The Learning Center encompasses two programs: University Tutorial and Supplemental Instruction (UTSI), and TRiO Student Support Services (SSS). We hire for three positions: one-on-one tutoring with University Tutorial, peer-facilitated group study sessions with Supplemental Instruction, and tutoring/mentoring with Student Support Services. Information on each position can be found below.
All students interested in applying for a position will need to complete the program-specific SNAP Job application, as well as the program-specific Supplemental Application. You will also need to have a faculty member complete the University College Learning Center Peer Educator Reference Form (note: you will need a separate Reference Form for each subject you intend to tutor). Both the Supplemental Applications and the Reference Form must be completed through this website. No paper resumes or applications will be accepted in the office.
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, incomplete applications will not be reviewed. We will screen all completed application packets and contact qualified individuals for interviews.
Please read all of the qualifications and application instructions carefully before submitting your applications.
- One-On-One Tutoring through University Tutorial
- University Tutorial provides tutoring to all UT Arlington students in all subjects.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Available to tutor a minimum of 10 hours a week (note: hours are not guaranteed)
- Number of hours tutored depends on tutor availability and student demand for the subject area so hours are not guaranteed.
- Tutoring sessions are held on campus 7 days a week between the hours of 7:00 am and 10:00 pm.
- Compensation begins at $10.00/hour with potential to earn more with experience and additional training.
- To learn more about University Tutorial, visit our website, www.uta.edu/tutoring.
- To apply, you will need to complete the SNAP Job application for Job 8594, complete the UTSI supplemental application, and have a faculty member complete the University College Learning Center Reference Form. You can find these forms at the bottom of the page.
- Peer-Facilitated Weekly Study Sessions through Supplemental Instruction (SI)
- Supplemental Instruction is a series of peer-assisted weekly study sessions designed to help students in traditionally difficult courses.
- 10.5 hour, weekly commitment (3 hours of course lecture, 3 hours of SI sessions, 4 hours of training and planning time).
- Regularly scheduled sessions based on SI Leader availability.
- Compensation begins at $10.00/hour.
- To learn more about Supplemental Instruction, visit our website, www.uta.edu/si.
- To apply, you will need to complete the SNAP Job application for Job 8594, the UTSI supplemental application, and have a faculty member complete the University College Learning Center Reference Form. You can find these forms at the bottom of the page.
- Tutoring/Mentoring through Student Support Services (SSS)
- Student Support Services is a federally-funded program that offers counseling and tutoring for qualifying students.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 8 hours per week. Tutoring sessions are held in the SSS office in Ransom Hall, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- Must be willing to tutor group sessions (no more than 3 students per group).
- Must be able to work a consistent weekly schedule.
- Because SSS Tutors/Mentors meet with their students weekly, they must have the ability to establish effective tutoring/mentoring relationships with SSS participants.
- Must possess sensitivity to the varied needs of SSS eligible students (including the ability to make special accommodations for the disabled learner).
- Must keep updated notes on students for the needs of SSS counselors, yet maintain a level of student confidentiality.
- Preference will be given to candidates who can tutor multiple courses within a subject (i.e. all levels of Math), and to candidates who can tutor several different subjects.
- Compensation begins at $8.50/hour with potential to earn up to $10/hour with experience and additional training.
- To learn more about Student Support Services, visit our website, www.uta.edu/sss.
- To apply, you will need to complete the SNAP Job application #8136, the SSS Supplemental Application, and have a faculty member complete the University College Learning Center Reference Form. You can find these forms at the bottom of the page.
- Completed at least one semester at UT Arlington.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or above (3.5 preferred) and an A or B in each course you would like to tutor.
- Fluent in English with demonstrated exceptional communication skills.
- Available to attend program-specific required training.
- Step 1: Complete the SNAP Jobs Application for your selected position type
- Step 2: Complete the appropriate supplemental application below:
- Step 3: Peer Educator Reference Form:
- UTSI Peer Educator Reference Form (To acquire a reference please email this link to your UTA professor. Students will be unable to access this link.)
- TRIO Student Support Services Peer Educator Reference Form (To acquire a reference please email this link to your UTA professor. Students will be unable to access this link.)