University College

University College

Effective Immediately

The University of Texas at Arlington's Student Legal Services Office will be closing on Friday, July 17th. At this time, we are no longer accepting new requests.  Please feel free to visit our Community Resource Web Page for other resources.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the purpose of SLS?

The purpose of the Student Legal Services at The University of Texas at Arlington is to give advice to students concerning their individual legal problems.

Who is eligible to use the services?

Any currently enrolled student at The University of Texas at Arlington is eligible to use the Student Legal Services office.

Where is SLS located and what are the hours of operation?

Student Legal Services is located in 216 Davis Hall. The telephone number is 817-272-3771, the fax number is 817-272-0185. The office is open 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday through Friday. It is closed on weekends and University holidays.

How do I use the service?

All consultations are seen by appointment only. No legal advice will be given over the telephone. You may make an appointment by calling the office at the number listed above, coming into the office and scheduling an appointment in person, or requesting an appointment online. You will be required to show your current student identification card when you arrive for your appointment.

Is SLS available for presentations?

SLS is available to speak to your organization, residence hall, class, etc., on an interesting legal topic of your choice by contacting our office prior to the scheduled event.  Please contact our office to make the arrangements at 817-272-3771.

Does SLS have real attorneys?

Yes. SLS has one full-time attorney, licensed by the State Bar of Texas.

Do I have to pay for services?

No. Any student currently enrolled at University of Texas at Arlington is eligible to receive services through this office free of charge. However, students are responsible for all court costs associated with filing their suit in court.

Can you help me sue a University of Texas at Arlington student or faculty member?

No. SLS cannot advise students against another University of Texas at Arlington student, faculty or staff member, department or University of Texas at Arlington as a whole.

What do you do for students?

SLS provides advice and counsel in the following areas: landlord/tenant disputes, uncontested divorces, uncontested family law matters, name changes, expunctions, orders of nondisclosure, essential needs licenses, auto/medical claims, consumer, and civil matters, estate planning, employment law, criminal law, child support, contested family law matters, medical malpractice, and traffic tickets. SLS also provides notary public services, mediation, and referrals to private attorneys and outside agencies.

Will Student Legal Services represent me in court?

SLS does not offer court representation.

We do not represent students in criminal cases, on or off campus; however, we can advise students of what to expect during the criminal proceedings and give a referral to an outside attorney, if needed.

Legal Disclaimer