Bachelor of Science in University Studies
To earn a Bachelor of Science in University Studies, you must complete 120 credit hours and have a 2.0 cumulative grade-point average upon completing the course requirements. Of the 120 total hours, you must at least complete 36 advanced credit hours (3000- and 4000-level courses). You must also meet the residency requirements for completing a degree at UT Arlington. The three curriculum areas for each University Studies Degree are major content, core curriculum and electives.
Unofficial Degree Planning Worksheet (PDF) — a guide to begin developing your degree plan.
There are three areas of curriculum to complete for each degree plan: Major Content, Core Curriculum, and Electives.
- The major is comprised of 15 hours from three major content areas selected by the student and University Studies advisor for a total of 45 hours in the major.
- At least 6 hours of 15 hours for of the each major content areas must be advanced level (3000-4000 level) courses.
- For each selected major content area selected, student may only take courses from the approved department prefixes listed.
- Major Content Areas
- Arts: ARCH, ART, DNCE, INTD, MUSI, THEA
- Business: ACCT, BCOM, BLAW, BSTAT ECON, FINA, INSU INSY, MANA, MARK, OPMA, REAE
- Community Studies: BEEP, CRCJ, ECED, EDUC, EDML, LIST, SOCW, URPA
- Engineering: BE, CE, CSE, EE, ENGR, IE, MAE, MSE, NE
- Health and Wellness: HEED, KINE, NURS
- Humanities: CLAS, CHIN, ENGL, FREN, GERM, GREK, HIST, HUMA, LATN, LING, MODL, PHIL, PORT, RUSS, SPAN
- Media: ADVT, BCMN, COMM, COMS, CTEC, JOUR, PREL
- Physical Sciences: BIOL, CHEM, GEOL, MATH, PHYS, SCIE
- Social Sciences: ANTH, CRCJ, GEOG, POLS, PSYC, SOCI, SOCW, URPA
- Download the worksheet to help you select courses (XLSX)
- No more than 15 hours can come from the same department prefix within the 45 hours of the Major Content.
Each student at the University must complete the following Core Curriculum courses to graduate with a degree from UT Arlington. However, if a student has completed the core curriculum at another Texas public institution, those courses will serve to complete the Core Curriculum.
- English Six hours of composition.
- Literature Three hours of English or modern and classical languages literature or other approved substitute.
- Liberal Arts Elective Three hours above the freshman level of literature, or social and cultural studies designated as taught in the College of Liberal Arts, or fine arts, or philosophy, or technical writing.
- Social/Cultural Studies Three hours of social and cultural studies selected from designated courses that have been approved by the Undergraduate Assembly.
- Fine Arts Three hours from architecture, art, dance, music or theatre arts.
- Political Science POLS 2311 and POLS 2312.
- History HIST 1311 and HIST 1312.
- Mathematics Six hours (level of college algebra or higher).
- Science Eight hours in a single lab science (biology, chemistry, geology or physics).
Students must complete a sufficient number of electives to fulfill the total number of courses required to complete the degree.