MARK Advisor Training
Mission: MARK (Maverick Advisors Reaching for Knowledge) Training provides UT Arlington advisors with the knowledge and skills to develop a strong foundation in best advising practices that enhance student learning and persistence.
Certificates: A certificate is awarded upon completion of all modules in each Tier. The awards ceremony is held at the end of the Spring semester.
MARK Training was launched in Fall 2007 and is comprised of three Tiers:
Tier 1 (Foundations) – offered Fall and Spring
- Advising 101 - Learn about the purpose and professional standards of advising.
- Policies & Procedures (Undergraduate/Graduate) - Know university policies and procedures.
- Referrals & Resources - Identify appropriate campus resources for referrals.
- Advisor Toolbox - Utilize the tools and resources needed to be an effective advisor.
- Students - Understand different student populations and demographics.
- QPR For Suicide Prevention (Counseling and Psychological Services) - Increase awareness of the warning signs, clues and suicidal communications of people who may be considering suicide and learn how to intervene with at risk individuals.
Tier 2 (Student-Centered Advising & Professional Growth) – offered each Fall
Prerequisite: Tier 1 Certificate
- Persistence: Understanding Key Factors - Understand the factors that impact student persistence.
- Student Outreach - Develop a student communication plan. Implement student outreach campaigns by utilizing predictive analytics.
- Advisor Strengths, Part 1 - Identify and utilize personal strengths to enhance your advising career.
- Advisor Strengths, Part 2 - continuation of Part 1
Tier 3 (Advising Leadership) - Spring 2017
- Develop leadership and mentoring skills.
- Contribute knowledge to the UTA advising community.
Star Advisor Awards for Professional Development Participation
- Develop and maintain involvement in the advising community.
- Enhance skillset to improve advising services.
- Know current policies and practices.
- Network with other professionals.
Eligible Activities & Points Awarded
- advising or other professional development meeting or workshop (does not include UTAAA lunch meetings/conference planning committee meetings or MARK Training modules) - 1 point
- conference - 2 points
- UTAAA Lunch Meeting - 3 meetings = 1 point
Star Award & Required Points
Please contact Emily Milam at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or suggestions for the program.