Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Information for Academic Partnership Nursing Students
All students entering the Academic Partnership (AP) Nursing Program at The University of Texas at Arlington must complete the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements before they can register for courses. TSI requires that all incoming students enrolling at Texas public institutions of higher education be assessed academically to determine their level of college-readiness in Reading, Writing, and Math.
Different TSI Statuses
You will be TSI Complete, TSI Not Complete, or TSI Liable for Reading, Writing, and/or Math.
- TSI Complete means that you have met all TSI requirements for this area and do not need to take further action.
- TSI Not Complete means that you have attempted an approved TSI test and have failed one or more portions of the test. State law requires these students to enroll in approved developmental education for this failed area.
- TSI Liable means that you must take one of the approved tests in the area for which you are not already complete.
How can I find my TSI Status?
Your TSI status is noted on your Student Center in MyMav. Click on the TSI Status link at the very bottom of your Student Center page under the Admissions bar.
To be exempt for any portion of TSI, you must:
- Meet qualifying standards on certain tests. (Note: TAKS scores are valid for three years from the date of testing. SAT and ACT scores are valid for five years from the date of testing.) The minimum scores for these test exemptions are as follows:
- TAKS (exit-level) - Writing AND Reading: Essay score of 3 (you may have to provide the student report score to be exempt) AND a 2200 on the English Language Arts section; Math: 2200 on the Math section (For Texas Residents Only)
- SAT - Writing AND Reading: A combined score of 1070 with a 500 on verbal (Critical Reading section); Math: A combined score of 1070 with a 500 on the math section. (Note: This also applies to the New SAT.)
- ACT - Writing AND Reading: A composite score of 23 with a 19 on the English section; Math: a composite score of 23 with a 19 on the math section.
- Have graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from a public institution of higher education.
- Transfer to a Texas public institution of higher education from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework.
- Are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment or have been honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty.
- Have attended any Texas public institution of higher education and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution (must provide documentation on official transcript).
UT Arlington requires incoming students who are not exempt to take one of the following TSI approved tests:
- Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA)
- Asset Test
Who should I contact if I have any questions?
Phone: (817) 272-2362
Testing Services can assist students with understanding how, when, and where to take one of the approved assessment tests.
- For students in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex: Please visit the TSI area of the Testing Services website and register to take the Accuplacer on the earliest date possible. After you complete the test at our testing center, you can bring your Accuplacer scores to the University Advising Center immediately for processing by an academic advisor.
- For In-State students who are outside of the DFW area or for Out-of-State Students: Please email Testing Services (email@example.com) to request a testing and application packet for testing in your home state. In the email, be sure to include your name, your Mav ID number, and in the subject line, note: Out-of-State/Out-of-Area Testing for TSI.
- Test Prep: Accuplacer Sample Questions
Phone: (817) 272-6287
Undergraduate Admissions can assist with transfer of coursework for TSI Exemptions or with obtaining appropriate documentation of completion of TSI at another Texas state university or community college.
Phone: (817) 272-3140
The University Advising Center can assist with answering TSI questions and processing military exemptions or dealing with other special circumstances.