Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Information for Academic Partnership Nursing Students
All students entering the Academic Partnership (AP) Nursing Program at The University of Texas at Arlington must complete the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) requirements before they can register for courses. TSI requires that all incoming students enrolling at Texas public institutions of higher education be assessed academically to determine their level of college-readiness in Reading, Writing, and Math.
Different TSI Statuses
You will be TSI Complete, TSI Not Complete, or TSI Liable for Reading, Writing, and/or Math.
- TSI Complete means that you have met all TSI requirements for this area and do not need to take further action.
- TSI Not Complete means that you have attempted an approved TSI test and have failed one or more portions of the test. State law requires these students to enroll in approved developmental education for this failed area.
- TSI Liable means that you must take one of the approved tests in the area for which you are not already complete.
How can I find my TSI Status?
Your TSI status is noted on your Student Center in MyMav. Click on the TSI Status link at the very bottom of your Student Center page under the Admissions bar.
To be exempt for any portion of TSI, you must:
- Meet qualifying standards on certain tests. (Note: TAKS scores are valid for three years from the date of testing. SAT and ACT scores are valid for five years from the date of testing.) The minimum scores for these test exemptions are as follows:
- Have graduated with an associate or baccalaureate degree from a public institution of higher education.
- Transfer to a Texas public institution of higher education from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework.
- Are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment or have been honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty.
- Have attended any Texas public institution of higher education and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution (must provide documentation on official transcript).
Who should I contact if I have any questions?
Phone: (817) 272-2362
Testing Services can assist students with understanding how, when, and where to take the approved assessment test.
Arlington/Dallas/Ft. Worth Area students: Please click the Pre-Assessment Activity page here. Follow the instructions for the Pre-Assessment Activity. After you take the Pre-Assessment Activity, you will be allowed to register for the TSI Assessment test for the earliest possible date. After you test at our testing center, you can bring your TSI Assessment test scores to the University Advising Center immediately after you complete the test.
In-State (but out of Arlington/Dallas/Ft. Worth area) students AND Out-of-state students: students must contact UT Arlington Testing Services to request a testing and application packet to test in their home state. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions. In the email you should include your name, your student ID# (100..), and in the email subject line: Out of State/Out of Area Testing for TSI.
Phone: (817) 272-6287
Undergraduate Admissions can assist with transfer of coursework for TSI Exemptions or with obtaining appropriate documentation of completion of TSI at another Texas state university or community college.
Submitting Test Scores to UT Arlington:
If you wish to submit assessment (test) scores to UT Arlington to prove that you are exempt, please submit in person or by mail to the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope (No Exceptions). To ensure assessment (test) scores remain confidential and secure, the Office of Admissions, does not accept faxes.
Davis Hall, Room 123
701 S. Nedderman Drive
Arlington, TX 76019
By Postal Mail
UT Arlington Office of Admissions, Records & Registration
Arlington, TX 76019-0114
Phone: (817) 272-3140
The University Advising Center can assist with answering TSI questions and processing military exemptions or dealing with other special circumstances.
For more information about the Texas Success Initiative, please read the Student Information Brochure here.