Reasons to Join a FIG
How far you take your education depends on how far you want to go in your career. That's why UT Arlington offers the Maverick Scholars program to help you reach your goals sooner and with total confidence. Consider this: Students who join a FIG often experience an easier adjustment to college life, earn higher grade point averages, and graduate on time more frequently than students not in the program.
If you break down all of the benefits of joining a FIG, you'll find there are three main things that keep this program growing year after year:
- Unique Opportunities
At UT Arlington, we know that families want to get the most value out of their investment in a student's education, and students want to take advantage of every opportunity for success. This is how a FIG can increase the value of your education:
- Earn a higher GPA
- Graduate on time
- Ease your transition to college through a FIG-sponsored Freshman Seminar
- Create lasting relationships with students who share your academic interests
- Receive personalized attention from an upper-classman Peer Academic Leader
- Improve your study skills and time-management strategies
- Pay nothing to join!
We also know that starting college can be a stressful time with deadlines and worries about where to live or what classes to take. By joining a FIG, we will help you take care of all of that with our added conveniences:
- Reserved housing in Kalpana Chawla Hall for participating groups
- Classes in your residence hall for residential and fusion groups
- Reserved seats in core classes that you have to take
- Classes with the other students in your FIG
- A FIG student-only orientation that allows you to register for classes before any other freshmen
By participating in a FIG, you'll be invited to participate in a number of unique activities and events that will give you the opportunity to build your resume and make the most of your college experience:
- Personalized study groups and tutoring sessions
- Social and academic-themed programs
- Leadership and community service opportunities
- Meetings with faculty and University leaders from your freshman year
With all of these benefits and no fee to join, there's really isn't any reason not to become a FIG member. So apply today! Spaces are limited, and you won't want to miss out.