University College

University College

Petition for Credit

Did you take AP, IB, CLEP or other credit-by-exam tests?  Now you need to follow a few steps to actually get the credit on your transcript:

1.  Make sure we accept the exam and score.  Go to the credit-by-exam section of our website.
2.  Talk to your advisor about which credit will work in your degree program.
3.   Log into your MYMAV account and click on:  UTA Customizations > UTA Testing Services > Petition for Credit 

Please read through all the instructions on the Petition for Credit screen before scrolling to the bottom of the page.    Exams for which you are eligible to receive credit are listed by test type.  Each exam lists the UT Arlington course for which you are eligible to receive credit.  If you wish to have the credit added to your transcript, click “Select Credit” box next to the course name.   You may notice if you have duplicates of a course, that the duplicates will no longer have a “Select Credit” option.  You may receive credit for a course only once.   If you click the “Select Credit” box again it will unselect the option and you may make another choice.   

Once you have completed the selection process, please click on the “Submit my Request for Credit” button at the bottom of the page. Once you have submitted your choices, you may not go back and unselect any of the items you submitted.  However, if you choose not to Petition for a particular course at this time, you may come back at anytime while you are a current student and complete the Petition for that course.

 FAQ – Petition for Credit

Q:  What is this?
A:  UT Arlington does not automatically post credit to your transcript from any credit-by-exam such as Advanced Placement exams, CLEP exams, or International Baccalaureate Program exams.  You should consult with your academic advisor concerning credits you will need for your degree program and then use the MyMav program to petition to have the credit put on your transcript.

Q:  How long does it take for the credits to be posted to my transcript?
A:  Approximately two (2) business days.

Q:  Why are all my test credits not showing on the Petition page?
A:  There may be many reasons why your test credits are not showing, please see below for the most common reasons:

  • Have you had your test scores sent from the test company such as College Board, IB Diploma Program or DSST?  Official scores must be sent to UT Arlington’s Testing Center before they can be displayed.  Information on how to have scores sent to UT Arlington is on the Testing Services website.
  • You may not have met the credit-by-exam policy requirements for UT Arlington.  Please go to Testing Services' Credit-By-Exam website for complete information on what exams UT Arlington accepts and minimum scores required to earn credit.   
  • You may already have the course credit on your transcript.  You can only receive credit for a course once.  If you took the course at another college or claimed the credit-by-exam at that college, it may have already been transferred to your UT Arlington transcript.
  • You are currently enrolled in the course.  You can not claim credit for a course in which you are currently enrolled, unless you have written permission from the Chair of academic department that offers the course.
  • You took CLEP Spanish, French or German Language test.  These must be handled individually in the Testing Services office.  Please visit Testing Service in 004 University Hall with your photo ID to petition for credit.
  • You took the test at an academic department or received certification from that department.  When Testing Services receives notification from the department, we will contact you with payment information.  The fee is $25 per course (3 or 4 hour course = $25).   Once we receive payment we will post the score and update your Petition for Credit page.
  • You are a Graduate Student.  The Graduate School will not allow credit-by-exam on a graduate transcript.  If you need the credit for a prerequisite or certification of proficiency, please contact your graduate school advisor.
  • You are a UT Arlington Employee.  Employee Petition for Credit must be handled manually.  Please visit Testing Services in 004 University Hall with your photo ID for assistance.

Q:  I can see the test credit, why can’t I choose “Select Credit” on the Petition Page?
A:  You already have credit for that course or similar course on your transcript.  OR

A:  This is your first semester at UT Arlington - You and your advisor can view what credits you are eligible for, however you cannot claim the credit until after census date of your first semester.  Your advisor can use this information to assist you with registering for the appropriate courses for your schedule.

Q:  Why don’t you accept my credit-by-exam test?
A:  The academic department that offers the course decides which exams are accepted and the minimum score required to earn credit.  This ensures the exam content matches the course offered at UT Arlington and the score meets course standards for passing.

Q:  I took the CLEP English test, why is my credit not showing?
A:  Please make sure you have taken the correct CLEP test.  UT Arlington accepts the College Composition – Modular exam and you must also complete the Modular essay and have it scored at UT Arlington.  You must pass both parts of the test to earn credit.

Q: I Selected the Credit, but it did not show up correctly on my transcript.
A: Please contact the Office of Records at 817-272-3372