2014-2015 Advanced Standing Examination (ASE)
UT Arlington uses examinations prepared by faculty for use in awarding credit by examination. Some information on how to prepare for this examination is available in our office and some is available in the academic departments. The Advanced Standing Examinations may be taken by UT Arlington students only and is not transferable to other colleges or universities. The examinations offered are freshmen and sophomore levels only. They include English 1301 and 1302 (dictionaries provided by Testing Services); Chemistry 1441 and 1442 (four-function calculators may be used); and Math 1315, 1316, 1325, 2425, and 2326 (calculators may be used).
- Corresponding credits but not letter grades will be granted to students who pass the examination.
- For English examinations, credit for 1301 must be earned before attempting 1302.
- For Chemistry examinations, credit for 1441 must be earned before attempting 1442.
- Students can retake the English Examinations three months after the test date; other retakes require a six-month waiting period (no exceptions).
- The individual academic departments may administer other examinations. Students interested in junior or senior level examinations should check with individual departments.
- Students are encouraged to consult the Undergraduate Catalog or the Testing Services office regarding additional credit-by-examination policies of UT Arlington.
English 1301 and 1302: For general instructions, see English Essay Instructions (PDF).
UT Arlington Students, please note the Credit-by-Examination Policy.
"Credit by examination can be awarded only for courses in which the student has neither a passing nor a failing grade (including a Z in English) at UT Arlington or transfer credit from another institution of higher education." Read the complete list of credit-by-exam policies for UT Arlington.
Our regular testing time is 1 p.m. Monday-Friday or 9 a.m. Tueday, Thursday and Friday. (excluding holidays).
The Spanish Supplemental is a multiple-choice exam that covers the fourth level of Spanish grammar and spelling. If you are registered to take a CLEP Spanish test at UT Arlington you are automatically given the Supplemental Exam and should not register for it separately.
If you passed the CLEP Spanish test but did not pass the Supplemental, and would like to re-test then you can sign up for the ASE Spanish Supplemental after three (3) months.
If you took the CLEP Spanish test at another test site and did not claim the credit at another institution (it isn’t transferring to UT Arlington), then contact CLEP to have your scores sent to UT Arlington (CB code 6013) and sign up to take the ASE Spanish Supplemental.
Register at utatesting.timetrade.com. You must have your 10-digit UTA ID number to register.
Fee: $30, except for ASE English, which are $40.
- Students may only take one examination per test date.
- Check-in for exams starts promptly at 9 a.m. or 1 p.m.
- Examinees must bring a photo ID and the admission ticket with them.
Satisfactory Scores and Course Credit 2014 - 2015
|Examination||Score||UT Arlington Courses|
|Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing I||3.52||ENGL 13011|
|Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing II||3.52||ENGL 13021|
|College Algebra for Economics and Business Analysis||75%3||MATH 1315|
|Mathematics for Economics and Business Analysis||75%3||MATH 1316|
|Algebra and Trigonometry||75%3||MATH 1324|
|Analytic Geometry||75%3||MATH 1325|
|Calculus II||75%3||MATH 2425|
|Calculus III||75%3||MATH 2326|
Spanish Supplemental 80%4 SPAN 2314
1Must wait three months before attempting a retake examination. A second score with a test date less than three months from the first test date will not be evaluated.
2 Credit for 1301 must be earned before attempting 1302.
3 Must wait six months before attempting a retake examination. A second score with a test date less than six months from the first test date will not be evaluated. Score needed prior to 11/01/2012 is 80%.
4 Must have Official CLEP Spanish Language test scores sent from The College Board. ASE Spanish Supplemental score is used in conjunction with passing CLEP score to attain SPAN 2314 credit. Supplemental may be taken once every 3 months.