2015-2016 College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The CLEP Subject Examinations are designed to assess achievement in specific college subjects. Each test contains various kinds of multiple-choice questions and allows 90 minutes to complete the items. For credit by examination in any English course, UT Arlington requires the optional CLEP Essay. Students who wish to have test scores evaluated for credit by examination in English must have their objective scores and essays sent to Testing Services (school code 6013). Testing Services will evaluate the objective scores and send eligible students' essays to English Department faculty for scoring. Additional requirements for eligibility are listed below. There is a three-month waiting period to repeat any CLEP examination.
CLEP Subject Examinations may be taken at any national testing center. Score reports are sent to your designated test center within one week after the test date. Other test centers, detailed descriptions of CLEP examinations, sample questions and suggested resources for preparation are available on The College Board website at www.collegeboard.com/clep. UT Arlington is an open CLEP test center administering CLEP exams to students and others in the DFW community. Examinees can only receive course credit at UT Arlington if they are an enrolled student and have completed a semester of course credit. For more credit by exam policies, please refer to the credit by exam policy link.
UT Arlington Students please note the following Credit-by-Examination Policy:
"Credit by examination can be awarded only for courses in which the student has neither a passing nor a failing grade (including a Z in English) at UT Arlington or transfer credit from another institution of higher education." Read the complete list of credit-by-exam policies for UT Arlington.
Practice Prep Test
CLEP Registration - two step process
Fees: $25 nonrefundable administration fee payable to UT Arlington; and $80 testing fee to CLEP (see below) and $25 fee payable to UT Arlington on the day of the test if taking an essay exam.
2. CLEP now requires that you go to their website and pay their $80 testing fee prior to the day of the test. After you sign up for a test date, go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/started to purchase your CLEP test and any study materials. The CLEP fee is non-refundable. The registration platform will allow you to purchase a CLEP exam 24/7, manage your personal information any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select your score recipient institution, and purchase study materials. Once you register on CLEP, make sure to print your registration ticket to present to the test center on test day. You cannot take your CLEP test without this ticket!
For veterans: If you are an eligible veteran, you can receive full reimbursement for CLEP exam and administration fees from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. For more information, visit www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/testing.htm. For more information about CLEP and the benefits available to veterans, visit www.collegeboard.com/clepveterans.
Parking for UTA Visitors
If you are not a student at UT Arlington, you must obtain a Visitor Daily Parking Permit. Parking Permits are driven by your vehicles License Plate; there is not a hangtag or sticker. You may get it the day of at the Parking Office, located at 1225 W. Mitchell Street, Arlington, TX 76013. You may also purchase it online at https://uta.nupark.com/portal/ when you arrive. The Daily Permit price is $3.00 and will allow you to park in the visitor lots, student lots, or any general parking lot. If you park at Davis Hall, you may ONLY park in the GREEN lined area located directly across from the Guard booth. DO NOT park in any White lined parking spots or you may receive a ticket. Students, Faculty and Staff must have the appropriate parking permit and park in their designated parking lot.
- Students may only take one examination per test session.
- Check-in for exams starts promptly in 201 Davis Hall.
- Examinees must bring 1 photo ID, must be a current, government-issued, e.g., a driver's license or passport. If you do not have a government issued photo ID you may use this CLEP ID form - which you must attach a photo, get notarized and bring with you to the test center.
- Rescheduling Policy: The CLEP exam can be rescheduled one time at no charge to you if you modify your test date online no later than 24 hours before your scheduled test date. If you do not reschedule or do not show for your exam, you will forfeit the $25 UT Arlington Registration Fee.
After the Test
- CLEP exams are transferable to most colleges and universities (check with your college for acceptance).
- CLEP credits acquired through credit by examination will be posted to a student's official record after the Census Date of your first semester and you completed a petition for credit.
- UT Arlington students that want to claim credit for Spanish, French or German CLEP exams must go to the Testing Services office Davis Hall, room 201 to claim credit. Students will not be able to claim your credit on My Mav.
- All other CLEP credit can be claimed online within 4-5 business days via MyMav>UTA Customizations>Petition for Credit after a successful completion of the CLEP exam and meeting the credit-by-exam policy requirements.
CLEP Optional Essay
- UT Arlington requires the optional essay for the College Composition - Modular, American Literature and English Literature CLEP tests for credit.
- After the multiple choice test is complete and a passing score is met, then an additional $20 payable to UT Arlington will be required before administration of the Optional Essay.
Modern Language Information
- Up to 14 hours credit (1441, 1442, 2313, and 2314) may be granted for each exam, depending on your score.
- The Spanish CLEP exam includes a supplemental test of grammar and spelling for UT Arlington students only. There is no study guide for the supplemental test.
- The supplemental test may only be taken a total of two times-once when taken with the CLEP and one retake if needed.
- If you have already taken the CLEP Spanish Language exam, you do not need to take it again. Send the scores to UT Arlington and only take the ASE Spanish Supplemental.
You must have an active UT Arlington NET ID and Password to access the supplemental exam.
- If you need to activate your NET ID or forgot your password, please read the information here: http://www.uta.edu/selfservice
Subject Examinations1 (Computer) Satisfactory Scores and Course Credit 2015-2016
|EXAMINATION||SCORE||UT ARLINGTON COURSE|
|Financial Accounting||55||ACCT 2301|
|General Biology||51||BIOL 1333 & 1334 or BIOL 1441|
|General Chemistry||50||CHEM 1441 & 1442|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||54||ECON 2305|
|Principles of Microeconomics||54||ECON 2306|
|College Composition –
|College French3 (Levels 1 & 2)||47-48||FREN 1441|
|57-67||FREN 1441, 1442, 2313|
|68-80||FREN 1441, 1442, 2313, 2314|
|College German3 (Levels 1 & 2)||32-36||GERM 1441|
|37-51||GERM 1441, 1442|
|52-70||GERM 1441, 1442, 2313|
|71-80||GERM 1441, 1442, 2313, 2314|
|American Government||60||POLS 2311|
|History of United States I||50||HIST 1311|
|History of United States II||50||HIST 1312|
|Western Civilization I||50||HIST 2301|
|Western Civilization II||50||HIST 2302|
|Principles of Management||60||MANA 3319|
|Principles of Marketing||63||MARK 3321|
|College Algebra||50||MATH 1302|
|Introductory Psychology||55||PSYC 1315|
|Introductory Sociology||50||SOCI 1311|
|College Spanish3 (Levels 1 & 2)||50-524||SPAN 1441|
|53-634||SPAN 1441, 1442|
|64-80||SPAN 1441, 1442, 2313|
|(See4)||SPAN 1441, 1442, 2313, 2314|
1 All CLEP Subject Examinations may be taken at any national CLEP test center, including UT Arlington. Send scores to UT Arlington (6013). There is a three-month waiting period for retaking any CLEP Subject Examination. A second score with a test date less than three months from the test date of the first score will not be evaluated.
2 A score of 55 establishes eligibility to have the optional essay scored. The optional essay must be sent to Testing Services, to be scored by English Department faculty. A satisfactory score on both the objective and optional essay tests is required to be eligible for credit.
3 Credit with letter grades is available for test scores with test dates on June 1, 1991, and later. Letter grades are assigned on the basis of specific test scores. Test scores from retake examinations may be evaluated for additional credit or credit with letter grade but cannot be used to replace a letter grade earned from a previous test score.
4 Additional credit is possible when an examinee has a satisfactory score on the Spanish Department's supplemental examination. The supplemental examination is administered after the CLEP Subject examination at UT Arlington. Contact Testing Services for details. UT Arlington students will need to know their NetID and password to access the supplemental exam.
The CLEP program has a long-standing policy that an exam may not be retaken within a waiting period. The retest policy now states you must wait a three (3) month period. This waiting period provides the candidate an opportunity to spend additional time preparing for the exam or the option of taking a classroom course. To verify the current length of the waiting period, candidates may contact CLEP services at (800) 257-9558, (609) 771/7865, or email@example.com. UT Arlington is not responsible for knowing when your waiting period ends.