The University of Texas at Arlington employs a multi-tiered emergency communication system to keep our community informed about emergency situations and rapidly changing conditions—from hazardous weather and campus closures to building emergencies and life-threatening criminal activity. Keeping individual emergency contact information current at all times is critical to our ability to ensure that students and employees can be contacted quickly during an emergency.
Students, faculty, and staff should update their emergency contact information through MyMav at uta.edu/mymav.
YOU MUST ENTER A MOBILE PHONE NUMBER in your online MyMav record and label it "Mobile" to enable MavAlert emergency notifications via text message.
- Log in to uta.edu/mymav with your regular network ID and password.
- Click on "Sign up for MavAlerts" in the far right column.
- Click on the green “Add a phone number” button.
the drop down menu under Phone Type to label the number "Mobile."
"Save" to save your mobile phone and enable it for text messaging.
Please note: MavAlert emergency notifications are sent to all uta.edu email addresses.
The multi-tiered Emergency Communication System includes:
- Outdoor Warning System. This system is activated by campus police dispatchers in the event of a life-threatening emergency. The University’s Outdoor Warning System consists of a combination of chimes and live or prerecorded announcements. Weather permitting, this system is tested at 12:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of every month. The UT Arlington test is followed by a 1 p.m. test of City of Arlington outdoor warning sirens.
- Building annunciation system. University police dispatchers may make announcements over interior speaker systems in campus buildings during an emergency.
- Public address system via police vehicles. UT Arlington police may broadcast emergency messages from patrol vehicles.
- MavAlert Emergency Notifications. MavAlert messages may be sent in the event of a life-threatening emergency via text message, email, and telephone. Students and employees are expected to periodically update their online records with current phone numbers, email addresses, and other text messaging devices to ensure timely delivery of emergency MavAlert messages.
- UT Arlington home page, www.uta.edu. Emergency messages are posted online when a need arises.
- University email. Campus closings, routine weather emergencies, major power and water outages, and other important items of information are communicated to the UT Arlington community by special MavWire Extra and Trailblazer Extra messages sent to campus email addresses.
- External media advisories. Campus closing and emergency notifications are provided to external media, including television and radio stations and online news sites, to quickly spread essential information.
- Emergency information hotline. Important information about campus closings and other critical situations is available at 1-866-258-4913.
The multi-tiered Emergency Communication System is described more fully in Annex B of the University’s Emergency Management Plan.
UT Arlington Police
Closings and Urgent Info
(7:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.)