Meet Kathryn Cook
Hometown: Arlington, TX
Area of Certification and Year: ESL EC-6 Senior
Why did you choose to attend UT Arlington?
- I heard and researched a lot about UT Arlington’s Education program and it is top notch. I got nothing but raving reviews so when I was narrowing my choices for schools to transfer to, this was one that made the cut. Not to mention when I was a little girl I saw my aunt walk across the stage make a speech at UTA as valedictorian of her class, and since then UTA has always been in my heart.
What is your favorite thing about the College of Education at UT Arlington?
- I like how close-knit and small the classes are. You get the chance to know your professors on a more personal level. You also have the opportunity to become close friends with everyone in your classes because you do start to have similar schedules.
Who is your favorite professor? Why?
- I have had many great professors since transferring here but a professor that has made an impact is Dr. Hulings. The way she conducts her class is so personal. She makes sure to meet all learning needs, makes it fun, and connects what we are learning with how to implement it into our future teaching.
What activities do you participate in outside of class?
- When I am not working or at school you can usually find me with my friends eating and playing board games or doing escape rooms.
What are your plans after you graduate?
- I have always wanted to volunteer my services for the Peace Corps as a teacher because not just kids in this country need a proper education. At some point I would like to come back and get my masters in education as well.
What is the one thing you think a prospective Education student needs to know?
- As cliche as it sounds, my advice is to always ask questions. Whether it be to your professor, your advisor, or even a friend. We are all here to support you on this path, and no question is a “dumb” question.