634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
College of Engineering DEI Initiatives
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives in the College of Engineering
We are committed to taking real action to address issues of diversity, equity and inclusion, and to ensuring that our faculty, students and staff are heard and that the composition of our College community mirrors that of the greater community. To that end, we have implemented several initiatives:
- We established a permanent committee on diversity, equity and inclusion in the College which is addressing a list of initiatives regarding issues related to race, ethnicity, gender and the other identities within a diverse college.
- We will conduct periodic climate checks with our student organizations including, but not limited to, the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers, and the Society of Women Engineers.
- We established an ombudsman’s office for engineering undergraduates to provide an alternative and confidential avenue for students to raise any problems they may be having, particularly associated with diversity, equity and inclusion.
- We established a permanent committee on diversity hiring to increase the diversity of the faculty. The committee has actively pursued faculty candidates and has increased the number of African-American and Hispanic faculty members since its creation.
- We host speakers on issues and best practices related to diversity, equity and inclusion in engineering and include DEI presentations as part of our ongoing virtual seminar series.
- We continue to focus some of our efforts on recruiting students from high schools that have high proportions of under-represented minorities and are working with the UTA Office of Enrollment Management to coordinate scholarship opportunities.