634 Nedderman Hall
416 Yates Street
Arlington, TX 76019-0019
Software Engineering Major (Bachelor of Science)
The Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering degree program is designed to prepare students for professional and academic careers in the field of software engineering. This program is ideal for students who are interested in designing and developing the entire life cycle of software systems.
About the program
Students in the B.S. in Software Engineering program will gain fundamental knowledge and practical skills in engineering software systems, including the ability to implement, test and maintain those systems, to identify needs and software requirements in an application domain, and to design systems to meet desired needs within realistic constraints. Software engineering principles could apply to different domains, including, but not limited to, video games, financial software, communication software, social network apps, personal computing and scientific computing.
Students will also apply the knowledge and skills gained in the classroom in real-world settings through internships or co-ops and course projects, including the capstone project.
Degree and Certificates
- B.S. in Software engineering
- Certificate in Unmanned Vehicle Systems
(Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2020)
Projected growth through 2028: 21%
- B.S. in Software Engineering, on-campus
- Fast Track B.S. to M.S. program in Software Engineering, on-campus – Three shared courses between the B.S. and M.S. programs allows students to complete a master’s degree with just 21 additional hours
Why Choose Us?
- Benefit from a well-designed curriculum that balances coursework and practical skills
- Collaborate with students from different engineering disciplines on a capstone project
- Engage in cutting-edge research projects that are funded by university, industry and government agencies
- Learn from well-established faculty who work closely with industry
- Join a network of alumni who hold positions in leading companies such as Facebook, Google, Lockheed Martin, Microsoft and others
The program in software engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. Enrollment and graduation data for the ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science program in Software Engineering can be found below.
Requirements for Licensure or Certification
All discipline specific programs in the College of Engineering meet educational requirements for professional licensure or certification in all U.S. states, territories, and the District of Columbia.
High School Students
Get a head start on your UTA software engineering degree in high school! If you have the prerequisites, our courses can be used to satisfy high school course requirements and can be applied toward your undergraduate degree.