Masters Degree - Admission Requirements
Master of Science
The Master of Science program is designed to prepare students to pursue careers in research science, industry, and government.
The following are minimal requirements for entrance into the graduate program in Biology. However, satisfying or exceeding these requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission to the program is determined solely by the Biology Graduate Studies Committee and the Graduate School and is based on an evaluation of all pertinent aspects of an applicant's record.
(see also The Department of Biology Graduate Catalog page)
- A Bachelor's degree in Biology or a Bachelor's degree in some other discipline with at least 12 hours of advanced level coursework (junior or senior level courses) in Biology.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the Graduate School. Applicants GPA in the Sciences will also be considered.
- Successful students in Biology generally have a minimum combined score of 296 (1000 on the old scoring system) on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the exam, with a strong performance on the Quantitative section.
- Favorable letters of recommendation from at least three individuals able to assess the applicant's potential for success in graduate school.
- Evidence of previous research experience may also be considered.
- International students whose native language is not English must provide a score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) of at least 45, a minimum score of 23 on the Speaking portion of the TOEFL iBT exam or a minimum score of 7 on the Speaking portion of the IELTS exam. See the following website for complete details: www.uta.edu/admissions/graduate/apply/