Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of a Capital Asset? 

Capital assets include furniture or equipment with a single unit value of $5,000 or greater and an estimated useful life of more than one year. Inventory Management System (Procedure BF-PM-PR1) further outlines additional capital assets.

What is a Controlled Asset?

A controlled asset is an asset that does not meet the capitalization value threshold, but still must be secured, tracked, and accounted for in the annual inventory due to the nature of the item. Controlled assets include computing devices and firearms with acquisition costs of $0.00 to $4,999.99. Inventory Management System (Procedure BF-PM-PR1) further outlines additional controlled assets.

How do you dispose of university equipment?

There are several ways in which to dispose of university equipment:

  • Transfer to another department
  • Transfer to Surplus Property
  • Transfer to another state agency, university or research facility
  • Sale of equipment
  • Trade-in of equipment
  • Cannibalization
  • Missing or stolen property

Refer to Disposition of University Property (Procedure BF-PM-PR3) which further defines modes of disposition.

Where do I go to report or locate lost personal property?

The Lost and Found is located in the UT Arlington Police Station and is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Other Lost and Found locations on campus include: Libraries, the Maverick Activities Center, the E.H. Hereford University Center Campus Information Center, and the UT Arlington Bookstore.

What is the role of UT Share in the management of assets?

UT Share is used to track capital and controlled assets. Refer to Inventory Management System (Procedure BF-PM-PR1) for more information.

Who do I call to report a vending machine problem?

To report vending machine problems, request changes, and for refund information call ext. 2-2191. Refunds are processed at Student Accounts in University Administration Building.

What is the procedure for removing university equipment from campus?

University equipment may be removed from campus for business use only. Prior to taking the equipment off campus, the employee should complete a Removal of Equipment from University Campus (Form BF-INV-F6). The completed form should be kept in the department inventory file, a copy given to the employee, and a copy sent to the Asset Management Office. When the equipment is returned to campus, the returned date should be noted on the original form and the AM Office should be notified that the equipment has been returned to campus.

What is the procedure for university held government property?

The Property Manager is responsible for the implementation of the Government Property Program for UT Arlington. United States Government-owned Equipment: Responsibilities, Care, Maintenance, Utilization, Identification, Disposition, and Records (Procedure BF-PM-PR7), Fabricated Equipment (United States Government-Owned Equipment) (Procedure BF-PM-PR8), Records of Scrap and Salvage (Procedure BF-PM-PR9) and Inventory Management System (Procedure BF-PM-PR1) provide instruction to all project directors/principal investigators (PD/PI) and Department Chairmen on the procedures necessary for the central US Government-owned equipment in the possession of UT Arlington.